University College London Interview Questions in London, England | Glassdoor

3.1

36 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Application process took 4 weeks total.

I applied through the website and I was called back for an interview a couple of weeks later, saying there is no need for me to prepare anything (eg. presentation).

At 5pm the day before the interview, I get an email saying that I will have to do a computer-based analysis test right before the interview. I suppose they wanted me to do no specific prep, but it was a bit cheeky to give me half a day's notice.

The test wasn't too hard anyway (excel based) and was followed by a 20 minute interview (3 people panel). I was asked questions about my previous research projects, about the current vacancy and about how I'd respond to certain job-related situations.

I was told I would get an answer within a week. I got an email around 10-14 days later, saying that I didn't get the job.

Regardless, the atmosphere was quite relaxed and the panel wasn't too intimidating.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous research project   Answer Question
    • Questions relating to participants for the current project, how I would act in recruiting and testing phases   Answer Question
    • (since it was a part time position) What would I do the remaining weekdays?   Answer Question
    • What was a challenging situation I've faced and how did I get through it?   Answer Question

General Manager – Infrastructure Services IT Service Delivery Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

First stage interview hosted by Gatenby Sanderson (Long list). Face to face interview with prospective candidates, brief run through of CV followed by set series of questions on specific technology topics.

Rest of the process was as follows:
     Closing dates for applications 20 April 2017
     Candidate interviews between selected 27 April – 12 May 2017
     Shortlist finalized 17 May 2017
     First interviews at UCL, London 25 May 2017
     Informal visits to UCL 5-15 June 2017
     Final interview at UCL 21 June 2017

Interview Questions

• e.g. what new or emerging technologies could be used by the university to modernise their IT?   Answer Question

Lectureship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Gave a 20 min presentation on my research to the section senior academics. Followed by a 20-25 min interview to a panel of 7. Interview included another 5min presentation on future aims with 3 slides

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Interview

I had the misfortune of applying for this role with an agency. I attended the interview location and was shocked to wait 30 MINUTES in reception before being interviewed. A non-panel member who knew this didn't tell me why I was being delayed. This had a negative impact during the interview. The panel simply laughed this off, but I didn't at all appreciate the fact they wasted my time. Demonstrates how unprofessional and poor they are at managing time. I wouldn't waste time with them again.

EPSRC Sponsored PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

I was in Wales at the time so the supervisor suggested we use Skype. We were joined by an external supervisor from Shell (the sponsor) and somebody else from Shell who did a similar PhD to this one. I was asked questions regarding my motivation and my ability to learn independently, along with a line of questioning about specific statistical topics, and if I had experienced them in my BSc.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you to learn?   1 Answer
    • Have you any experience with "enter one of about 6 things here"?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

They sent me an email for an appointment in the UCL, I should be there in two weeks and show them a summary of my research data. I arrived 15 min before but I should wait for 25 minutes in the secretary room. The interview were in the meeting room, three collaborators of the proyect asked me questions about my experience and background, the computer wasn't working. Then I showed my research data in a ppt. It was not difficult at all, but I saw the previous candidate giving them certificatess and documentation. They only asked me for my passport, so I am sure I am not in. I am wainting for feedback.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you are suitable for this possition, and some specific methodology questions.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Had an interview with the head of department and also principle supervisor. The interview was straight forward. It very much depends on your own research interests. If you are passionate on your subject and have a plan for your phd project, you are in a better place to speak to the supervisors. The outcomes comes out very quickly. Overall, the process was straight-forward.

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

The shortlisting process was incredibly slow and I did not hear back for over a month. I was informed that I had been shortlisted for the post and asked to prepare a presentation. I arranged time off work, cover for events that I had planned both professionally and personally and spent time preparing for the presentation. A couple of weeks later I received a further email informing me that there had been an error at shortlisting and I had been invited to interview by mistake! What kind of organisation takes weeks to shortlist and then invites the wrong candidate? Particularly in HR, the function that should be promoting best practice. I'm grateful that I was 'uninvited' to interview and did not waste more time with such a shambolic organisation.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

applied via the UCL web-page, got an e-mail with invitiation to interview with a specific date and time. It took place about 2 weeks later and lasted for about 40 min. The interview panel had 3 people- everyone working in the lab. They asked about my previous experience, plans for the future and why am I not doing a PhD. I got an e-mail with comments a few days later. I didn't get the job, but the professor said I did a good job.

Interview Questions

• previous experience and working with various molecular bio techniques   1 Answer

Postgraduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied with a cover letter and CV to the department's Postgraduate Administrator and had an interview a little under two months later. Interview started with a conversation about the setup of the course then covered standard questions about prior experience and research and you would approach teaching scenarios.