University College London Interview Questions in London, England | Glassdoor

3.1

35 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Interview

I had the misfortune of applying for this role with an agency. I attended the interview location and was shocked to wait 30 MINUTES in reception before being interviewed. A non-panel member who knew this didn't tell me why I was being delayed. This had a negative impact during the interview. The panel simply laughed this off, but I didn't at all appreciate the fact they wasted my time. Demonstrates how unprofessional and poor they are at managing time. I wouldn't waste time with them again.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Application process took 4 weeks total.

I applied through the website and I was called back for an interview a couple of weeks later, saying there is no need for me to prepare anything (eg. presentation).

At 5pm the day before the interview, I get an email saying that I will have to do a computer-based analysis test right before the interview. I suppose they wanted me to do no specific prep, but it was a bit cheeky to give me half a day's notice.

The test wasn't too hard anyway (excel based) and was followed by a 20 minute interview (3 people panel). I was asked questions about my previous research projects, about the current vacancy and about how I'd respond to certain job-related situations.

I was told I would get an answer within a week. I got an email around 10-14 days later, saying that I didn't get the job.

Regardless, the atmosphere was quite relaxed and the panel wasn't too intimidating.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous research project   Answer Question
    • Questions relating to participants for the current project, how I would act in recruiting and testing phases   Answer Question
    • (since it was a part time position) What would I do the remaining weekdays?   Answer Question
    • What was a challenging situation I've faced and how did I get through it?   Answer Question

Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in June 2012.

Interview

Very picky on job specifications - depends on the job
    Qs:
    Why UCL?
    Show me how to do X on this computer.
    How are you going to cope with Y?
    What do you anticipate on doing in the future?
    What did you learn from doing Z in your CV.

Interview Questions

• Why UCL?
      Show me how to do X on this computer.
      How are you going to cope with Y?
      What do you anticipate on doing in the future?
      What did you learn from doing Z in your CV.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Normal

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online and I was contacted by Skype for an informal interview from the professor/manager. After that, I had my interview at UCL with a group/panel based on experts of my research field. I presented my previous research activities through a public presentation and after I had a private technical review during which the panel checked my skills and the strength of my academic background.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions related to the fundamental of my field (i.e. quantum mechanics, physics, chemistry, ecc.) Furthermore, I discussed during the panel on the curiosities of the interviewers about my previous research activities, paying particular attention to the issues that I faced.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Skype interview. I gave a presentation on my previous work then answered questions based on the talk. They wanted to know the details of the projects and my involvement. The then had a small part on where I saw science in general and my research going in the future. Along with some questions about my personality.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in September 2014.

Interview

I sent in a CV and covering letter and got an invitation for an interview within a week. Very quick turn-around. The interview was with a panel five of future supervisors. I was asked to give a short presentation about my work and was asked skills questions (see below). The interview was mostly technical. But it was a good experience. Very friendly people.

Interview Questions

• "How would you address this problem"/"How would you go about solving this problem"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

It was a panel interview with four professors including the head of the department and head of year. All the usual questions were asked, such as why do you want to do this? Why would you be a good candidate, as well as more personal and detailed previous experience questions.

Interview Questions

• How many hours do you think the typical PhD student works a week?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

- Online application (CV, personal statement, research proposal etc.)
    - Assessment center type interview
    - Interviews are conducted by several potential supervisors
    - Final stage of interview is to give a 20 mins presentation of a research project or proposal and followed by 10-20 mins of questions
    However it varies from department to department. Some of my colleagues had only one interview with the potential supervisor.

Interview Questions

• Overall everyone is very accommodating. The process is very competitive. Questions can be very specific.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The starting time was negotiated

General Manager – Infrastructure Services IT Service Delivery Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

First stage interview hosted by Gatenby Sanderson (Long list). Face to face interview with prospective candidates, brief run through of CV followed by set series of questions on specific technology topics.

Rest of the process was as follows:
     Closing dates for applications 20 April 2017
     Candidate interviews between selected 27 April – 12 May 2017
     Shortlist finalized 17 May 2017
     First interviews at UCL, London 25 May 2017
     Informal visits to UCL 5-15 June 2017
     Final interview at UCL 21 June 2017

Interview Questions

• e.g. what new or emerging technologies could be used by the university to modernise their IT?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Submitted CV and cover letter, was called into interview with 3 academics, was mainly asked CV based questions. Academic questions focused on my career aspirations and the type of projects I was interested in the programme. The supervisors were all friendly and were helpful during the interview.