University College London Interview Questions in London, England | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 25, 2017

3.1

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Submitted CV and cover letter, was called into interview with 3 academics, was mainly asked CV based questions. Academic questions focused on my career aspirations and the type of projects I was interested in the programme. The supervisors were all friendly and were helpful during the interview.

PhD Candidate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in February 2013.

Interview

I had an informal chat with my future PI and he asked me about myself, what sort of projects I was working on (scientific). He asked me what my future plans were, why I want to do research and what I would do if I had difficulties/failures in my project.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do a PhD? Why did you choose this position?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview panel consisted of 3 people (2 men, 1 woman, of which was one my potential boss). I had to give a short 15min presentation about my former work. Then we had a short discussion. The last 30 min I spent with my potential collegeaus talking about me and their work. It took all together about 60-90 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What are my aims, my hopes and what I will bring to UCL? What are my long-term aims? Why do I want this particular position?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Interview

I had the misfortune of applying for this role with an agency. I attended the interview location and was shocked to wait 30 MINUTES in reception before being interviewed. A non-panel member who knew this didn't tell me why I was being delayed. This had a negative impact during the interview. The panel simply laughed this off, but I didn't at all appreciate the fact they wasted my time. Demonstrates how unprofessional and poor they are at managing time. I wouldn't waste time with them again.

Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in June 2012.

Interview

Very picky on job specifications - depends on the job
    Qs:
    Why UCL?
    Show me how to do X on this computer.
    How are you going to cope with Y?
    What do you anticipate on doing in the future?
    What did you learn from doing Z in your CV.

Interview Questions

• Why UCL?
      Show me how to do X on this computer.
      How are you going to cope with Y?
      What do you anticipate on doing in the future?
      What did you learn from doing Z in your CV.
      1 Answer

Negotiation

Normal

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online and I was contacted by Skype for an informal interview from the professor/manager. After that, I had my interview at UCL with a group/panel based on experts of my research field. I presented my previous research activities through a public presentation and after I had a private technical review during which the panel checked my skills and the strength of my academic background.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions related to the fundamental of my field (i.e. quantum mechanics, physics, chemistry, ecc.) Furthermore, I discussed during the panel on the curiosities of the interviewers about my previous research activities, paying particular attention to the issues that I faced.   Answer Question

EPSRC Sponsored PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

I was in Wales at the time so the supervisor suggested we use Skype. We were joined by an external supervisor from Shell (the sponsor) and somebody else from Shell who did a similar PhD to this one. I was asked questions regarding my motivation and my ability to learn independently, along with a line of questioning about specific statistical topics, and if I had experienced them in my BSc.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you to learn?   1 Answer
    • Have you any experience with "enter one of about 6 things here"?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

They sent me an email for an appointment in the UCL, I should be there in two weeks and show them a summary of my research data. I arrived 15 min before but I should wait for 25 minutes in the secretary room. The interview were in the meeting room, three collaborators of the proyect asked me questions about my experience and background, the computer wasn't working. Then I showed my research data in a ppt. It was not difficult at all, but I saw the previous candidate giving them certificatess and documentation. They only asked me for my passport, so I am sure I am not in. I am wainting for feedback.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you are suitable for this possition, and some specific methodology questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Skype interview. I gave a presentation on my previous work then answered questions based on the talk. They wanted to know the details of the projects and my involvement. The then had a small part on where I saw science in general and my research going in the future. Along with some questions about my personality.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University College London (London, England (UK)) in May 2013.

Interview

This consisted of my presenting a 15-20 min talk on my previous research project, followed by questions on the work presented. Then there were general interview questions from the panel of three people, including a description of the position being applied for. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly though a bit hurried since there were other candidates interviewing on the same day. Afterwards I was given a tour of the institute by a Research Associate in the lab. It was a positive experience overall.