University of Alabama in Huntsville Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 30, 2017

2.6

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville (Huntsville, AL) in April 2016.

Interview

I had a phone call with the department advisor to talk about why I wanted to come to the school and the research I would be involved in once I was there. I was connected to a research group to potentially work with, then once I was accepted into the program I drove down to the school to meet with people in person. I learned about their department and spoke to people who would be my advisors.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to study here?   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was easy once I was accepted into the school. Very laid back.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville (Huntsville, AL) in July 2015.

Interview

Asked about my previous coursework and my relevant experience in subjects the position was available. Subjects covered included embedded systems, vlsi and signal processing. Had to talk about the contents of each course in detail.

Interview Questions

• What coursework and project experience do you have in xyz subjects?   Answer Question

Admissions Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville (Huntsville, AL) in May 2015.

Interview

First you are called to set up an Interview with HR. I interview by phone with HR then they processed me to the next phase. I then phone interview with the director of Admissions, after our Interview she invited me to an on campus interview via email. Once arriving to campus I interview with the director of Admissions and the Vice-president for around an hour. I then proceeded to a panel interview with the whole admission staff. The whole interview process was very friendly and I would have accepted the position if offered.

Interview Questions

• Tell me why you think you want to be an Admissions Counselor.   1 Answer

Phonathon Caller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville (Huntsville, AL) in October 2014.

Interview

the interview was conducted over the phone and planned over email, got interview the same week as initial application. simple questions and the most challenging involved how well i dealt with rejection

Interview Questions

• "how well do you deal with rejection? tell me about a time in which you were rejected and how you reacted."   Answer Question

Negotiation

didnt try to negotiate, i am happy with everything and simply glad i got the job.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville (Huntsville, AL).

Interview

They send you an email that you have been awarded a GRA position. Next I dont not remember much as it has been more than 2 years now for this.

Director of Networks and Infrastructure Interview

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville (Huntsville, AL) in May 2013.

Interview

Overall Perceptions
    Pro's
    It was a formal and structured interview process.
    Interview coordination communications were excellent; clear, concise, timely and without inaccuracies
    The actual interviews consisted of a balanced representation from a personnel and inquiry perspective and the time was well utilized

Con's
    None, it was an extremely pleasant experience.

Details
    The first interview was conducted over Skype, it was scheduled for 1 hr and consisted of ~7 people including myself. It went the entire hour but did not go over and I got the distinct impression that it was more of a comprehensive screening. It went very smoothly, the range of questions was balanced and appropriate for the position advertised. I didn't get any obviously loaded questions, there was no grandstanding and it was clear that filling this position with the best candidate was important to everyone in the meeting.

The second interview was about two weeks later. It was in person, lasted all day and was broken up into ~6 sessions. It was very similarly structured to the first interview but with increased time allowing for more depth. And my perceptions we're in line with the first interview as well. The panels in the individual sessions some of which consisted of entirely different people conveyed a very uniform and similar overall personality. The sessions had a very appropriate balance of technical and non technical questions and when concluded I was extremely confidant with their process and the information gleaned in both directions.

Personal Impressions
    I was very impressed with the level of professionalism displayed in every way. The body language, tone and content of the verbal interactions between one another and with me were exceptional. I was extremely impressed, the level of personal investment and dedication to the organization by everyone I spoke with was not only exemplary but inspiring.

Interview Questions

• Being that I'm extremely technical with no real managerial experience outside of being a seasoned technical lead, with this position having a very distinct managerial component, I found the personnel questions ventured the furthest from my comfort zones. One in particular was phrased similar to the following:

"Given you're management style and how to interact with direct reports where do you weigh in on the difference between leadership and management?"

Once I clearly understood the question, I found it to be a very insightful, thought provoking and relevant question especially for very technical people...a month later, I still find it very thought provoking.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate anything, it's pretty bleak out there right now so I was just thankful to have gotten the nod. Plus they're taking a big risk on me being that I'm all tech no management. I need to earn the role and prove myself.

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville (Huntsville, AL) in February 2013.

Interview

Phone interview, a week later I received the invitation for onsite interview. After 3 weeks, I went to the campus and did 1 day interview. I met several faculty and students, and gave a 1 hour long job talk.

Administrative Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville (Huntsville, AL) in January 2013.

Interview

I interviewed so well I made it to the Provost and was verbally offered the position. I was then told the position was closed with a vague explanation. the HR department was terrible with follow-up and could never provide concrete answers to your questions.

Educator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville (Huntsville, AL) in August 2012.

Interview

This is not exactly a good method to rate or judge an interview. Many times a person is under pressure and cannot remember all the details necessary to accurately rate or judge an interview.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Alabama in Huntsville (Huntsville, AL) in August 2012.

Interview

Met with president and he hire me on spot. President inquired about my long work history, and if my parents were both deceased.We discussed my work experience at other universities and if I klnew the key professional there. I did.