University of Alberta Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Alberta Interview Questions

Updated May 11, 2017

2.5

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Alberta in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online. Received Skype interview invitation 4 weeks after. Interview lasted around 80 minutes. Interview was mostly technical and about my CV like explain your project in brief, and asked question from it then questions regarding field I choose for PhD. Overall interview experience was good as it was mostly technical questions.
    I advice to talk only on those part of the project/research with which you are most familiar so you can easily answer follow up question. And read little bit on the project/field you have applied.

Interview Questions

• Explain your master project in brief ? Why you chose that project ? And questions from what I said.   Answer Question
    • Why you want to join this group and University?   Answer Question
    • What knowledge do you have on your chosen PhD field ? Do you have any plan how to pursue it ?   Answer Question
    • If you have decided what you would like to do after PhD ?   Answer Question

R A Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Alberta.

Interview

Done by professor who would be my supervisor.
    Inquiry about my experiences and generic logical question mildly related to the field.
    Question answering was a long process which involved help from the interviewer.

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was quite smooth and everyone was very nice. The process consisted of 1 formal interview, a 40-minute teaching demonstration, individual interviews with various faculty members, and a Q&A with graduate students. Finally, I had to give a formal research talk. Overall, the interview process was intense. The entire job application was highly competitive.

Interview Questions

• What courses could you imagine teaching here?   1 Answer

Summer Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)).

Interview

A casual sit down with a prof and an associate where they asked questions. Was in the lab where most of the paper work and meetings were held. They went over tasks duties and talked about the different sites.

Interview Questions

• How is your soil and vegetation identification skills
      Your strengths and weaknesses
      Answer Question

Communications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in December 2016.

Interview

Prior to the interview, I was asked to complete a 300 word writing assignment and bring it with me to the interview. It was a panel interview with 3 people — 2 from the department and one from HR (if I remember correctly). They took turns asking questions for approximately half an hour. At the end, I was to complete another writing exercise, which they left the room for.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay on the pulse of the latest social media trends and platforms?   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Alberta.

Interview

I applied to a job posting online with a resume and cover letter. The job posting was somewhat vague so I did background research on the topic to tailor my cover letter to the posting. I got a call back for an interview 2 weeks later and then had a video conference call with the senior members of the group. Interview questions were all common questions from the "top 30" lists on google.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Brought into office and was interviewed my professor and PHd student where I was asked several questions. Most of the questions had to do with previous programming experience and if I thought I was able to complete the goal they had in mind. No technical questions were asked.

Mechanical Engineering Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

Two people interviewing. First question was tell us about yourself?
    Afterwards went over my resume and along the way had to explain certain things and provide examples. Overall the interview was fairly straight forward. Make sure to focus on your key strength that will be useful for the job.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in April 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by four people, who were apart of the team who wanted the assistant. They seemed fairly new in the interview process, as the questions were phrased awkwardly and seemed to go like "Are you willing to do ___" instead of asking about previous experiences. I still tried to crowbar in relevant experience to the position though just to make sure to make note that I was qualified.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing and able to learn how to use Catia software?   Answer Question
    • Do you have vacation planned?   Answer Question
    • Give us a general idea of how you would decide which parts/sub assemblies to use in a design?   Answer Question
    • What do you think the advantages/disadvantages between designing a part or buying a pre-manufacturing part?   Answer Question
    • What is your understanding of the design cycle?   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in April 2016.

Interview

Hired though the university job board, quick interview process, 1 week from within application to receiving call for interview. Interview was mostly a chat about transferable skills, CAD knowledge and etc. Nothing too technical. Professor as interviewer.