University of Alberta Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 8, 2017

2.5

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was quite smooth and everyone was very nice. The process consisted of 1 formal interview, a 40-minute teaching demonstration, individual interviews with various faculty members, and a Q&A with graduate students. Finally, I had to give a formal research talk. Overall, the interview process was intense. The entire job application was highly competitive.

Interview Questions

• What courses could you imagine teaching here?   1 Answer

Communications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in December 2016.

Interview

Prior to the interview, I was asked to complete a 300 word writing assignment and bring it with me to the interview. It was a panel interview with 3 people — 2 from the department and one from HR (if I remember correctly). They took turns asking questions for approximately half an hour. At the end, I was to complete another writing exercise, which they left the room for.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay on the pulse of the latest social media trends and platforms?   1 Answer

Junior Helpdesk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in January 2009.

Interview

I was asked a lot of technical questions, some of which I was not able to answer. At the end of the interview, I was not able to discern whether I would get the position or not.

Interview Questions

• How will you deal with rude callers at the helpdesk?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation involved as it is an entry position

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Alberta.

Interview

It was an easy interview. I saw it more like a friendly talk than an interview itself. I felt comfortable with answering all questions, and did not feel pressured if I did not know any of them. It is nice that they were open to jokes and conversation during the interview, that gave me more room for expression.

Engineering IT Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview took about half an hour, pretty relax and interviewers are nice as well. Asked around 8 questions, half of them are technical questions (but not hard to answer). The other half are behavior questions. Questions are easy but need to be prepared to get a good answer.

Administrative Assistant - Students' Council Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in April 2014.

Interview

Very broad questions; interviewers were nice; one was recording everything I said, while the other asked the questions. Felt it could have been shorter, considering the position. But they were ultimately very helpful in answering my questions at the end. Received follow-up email after a while.

Resident Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in February 2014.

Interview

Group process where you are required to interact with a group...build things, answer your reaction in a scenario, come up with creative ways to solve problems. They will grade you on your communication, how you respond to questions and on how eager you seem for the job. If you make it through the group process, you make it to one on one interview where more technical assessment of your soft skills takes place.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Residence Services? What sets you apart?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Alberta.

Interview

I applied to a job posting online with a resume and cover letter. The job posting was somewhat vague so I did background research on the topic to tailor my cover letter to the posting. I got a call back for an interview 2 weeks later and then had a video conference call with the senior members of the group. Interview questions were all common questions from the "top 30" lists on google.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Alberta in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online. Received Skype interview invitation 4 weeks after. Interview lasted around 80 minutes. Interview was mostly technical and about my CV like explain your project in brief, and asked question from it then questions regarding field I choose for PhD. Overall interview experience was good as it was mostly technical questions.
    I advice to talk only on those part of the project/research with which you are most familiar so you can easily answer follow up question. And read little bit on the project/field you have applied.

Interview Questions

• Explain your master project in brief ? Why you chose that project ? And questions from what I said.   Answer Question
    • Why you want to join this group and University?   Answer Question
    • What knowledge do you have on your chosen PhD field ? Do you have any plan how to pursue it ?   Answer Question
    • If you have decided what you would like to do after PhD ?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

Two people interviewing. First question was tell us about yourself?
    Afterwards went over my resume and along the way had to explain certain things and provide examples. Overall the interview was fairly straight forward. Make sure to focus on your key strength that will be useful for the job.