University of Alberta Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 11, 2017

2.5

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in March 2016.

Interview

Friendly and welcoming environment. Questions were easy to answer.

General Help In Mailroom(Cameron Library) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)).

Interview

I applied online at university library website. And was called to come to "discuss about my work". The supervisor was very friendly. He just ask some general questions about me, I don't think that is an interview. Then he told me that working for mail room could be hard and boring. Ask me if I am willing to do that. I said no problem and then I signed the contract. The whole process is very easy.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Applied online, and got a call from another RA, arranged to meet with professor. Pretty straightforward questions. Don't even wear a tie, as the interviewer wears jeans and sneakers. Read the research paper beforehand. My previous professor did put a lot of good words on me, I believe that helps. Academia is a pretty small circle, be careful with your reputation.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online via the careers section of the university's web site. Was contacted a month after I applied and offered an face-to-face interview downtown. Panel interview consisting of the human resources representative, director of marketing, program team lead and program assistant. The interviewers were very friendly and engaging. Completed an hour long questions interview, then completed forty-five minutes of testing. The testing involved formatting Microsoft Word and Excel denouements. About halfway through this component, a person came to check on me and gave me two additional tasks as "projects sometimes pop up at unexpected times." Was told I would be informed of the hiring decision by the end of the week and was via phone call.

Interview Questions

• Very behavior and situational based. For example:

1. What makes you the best candidate for the position?
      2. How do you prioritize?
      3. How would you use technology to reach out to current and prospective students?
      Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in January 2015.

Interview

there was no interview, just CV and application for scholarship, there are few options, NSERC, AITF, departmental funding, they also look at your papers,number of published journals, research area, ability to bring in funding, you are expected to lead a group of grad students, usually long hours of work. If you could start collaborating with companies you are usually better off. they bring in experience and more money.

Interview Questions

• you CV, number of published journals, research area, ability to bring in funding   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Interview

I applied online and showed the english ability. I think this university really focuses on GPA. If your gpa is high, everything is fine. You can get the offer very quickly.

Graduate Student Interview

Interview

I was interviewed by the professor, asking about my academic experiences and my interest area. I sent him my references and transcript of my bachelor. We talked through email and he gave me a skype interview about 20-30 minutes. Then I waited for the department to give me the offer.

Interview Questions

• I think it should be my understanding of his research area.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

emailed one of the prof in my department, got an email back and schedule for a meeting. Then gave him my transcript and discussed about project details. After that I got the position but need to write application for funding support. I got the funding anyway from the faculty so its all good

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in July 2014.

Interview

The process is quite simple. My supervisor is the same as the one during my M.Sc. program, and we talked for about half an hour to discuss the future research areas and decided to focus on industrial projects. He also asked me about my other offers and if I would like to renew the contract after the current one.

Project Lead Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Alberta.

Interview

Had two phone interviews with business office and direct manager. Additional in-person interview with senior management/director. Interviews were relatively formal in nature and lasted approx. 30 minutes each. The job offer was made and was given few days to accept the position. Overall from interviews to starting position took ~20 days.

Interview Questions

• Please describe your process for starting clinical trials from beginning to end phases.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much leeway for negotiations