University of Alberta Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Alberta Interview Questions

Updated Dec 23, 2017

2.5

Mechanical Engineering Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

Two people interviewing. First question was tell us about yourself?
    Afterwards went over my resume and along the way had to explain certain things and provide examples. Overall the interview was fairly straight forward. Make sure to focus on your key strength that will be useful for the job.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in April 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by four people, who were apart of the team who wanted the assistant. They seemed fairly new in the interview process, as the questions were phrased awkwardly and seemed to go like "Are you willing to do ___" instead of asking about previous experiences. I still tried to crowbar in relevant experience to the position though just to make sure to make note that I was qualified.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing and able to learn how to use Catia software?   Answer Question
    • Do you have vacation planned?   Answer Question
    • Give us a general idea of how you would decide which parts/sub assemblies to use in a design?   Answer Question
    • What do you think the advantages/disadvantages between designing a part or buying a pre-manufacturing part?   Answer Question
    • What is your understanding of the design cycle?   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in April 2016.

Interview

Hired though the university job board, quick interview process, 1 week from within application to receiving call for interview. Interview was mostly a chat about transferable skills, CAD knowledge and etc. Nothing too technical. Professor as interviewer.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in March 2016.

Interview

Friendly and welcoming environment. Questions were easy to answer.

General Help In Mailroom(Cameron Library) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)).

Interview

I applied online at university library website. And was called to come to "discuss about my work". The supervisor was very friendly. He just ask some general questions about me, I don't think that is an interview. Then he told me that working for mail room could be hard and boring. Ask me if I am willing to do that. I said no problem and then I signed the contract. The whole process is very easy.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Applied online, and got a call from another RA, arranged to meet with professor. Pretty straightforward questions. Don't even wear a tie, as the interviewer wears jeans and sneakers. Read the research paper beforehand. My previous professor did put a lot of good words on me, I believe that helps. Academia is a pretty small circle, be careful with your reputation.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online via the careers section of the university's web site. Was contacted a month after I applied and offered an face-to-face interview downtown. Panel interview consisting of the human resources representative, director of marketing, program team lead and program assistant. The interviewers were very friendly and engaging. Completed an hour long questions interview, then completed forty-five minutes of testing. The testing involved formatting Microsoft Word and Excel denouements. About halfway through this component, a person came to check on me and gave me two additional tasks as "projects sometimes pop up at unexpected times." Was told I would be informed of the hiring decision by the end of the week and was via phone call.

Interview Questions

• Very behavior and situational based. For example:

1. What makes you the best candidate for the position?
      2. How do you prioritize?
      3. How would you use technology to reach out to current and prospective students?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in January 2015.

Interview

there was no interview, just CV and application for scholarship, there are few options, NSERC, AITF, departmental funding, they also look at your papers,number of published journals, research area, ability to bring in funding, you are expected to lead a group of grad students, usually long hours of work. If you could start collaborating with companies you are usually better off. they bring in experience and more money.

Interview Questions

• you CV, number of published journals, research area, ability to bring in funding   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Interview

I applied online and showed the english ability. I think this university really focuses on GPA. If your gpa is high, everything is fine. You can get the offer very quickly.

Graduate Student Interview

Interview

I was interviewed by the professor, asking about my academic experiences and my interest area. I sent him my references and transcript of my bachelor. We talked through email and he gave me a skype interview about 20-30 minutes. Then I waited for the department to give me the offer.

Interview Questions

• I think it should be my understanding of his research area.   Answer Question