University of Bath Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 21, 2017

3.4

Placement Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bath, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Bath (Bath, England (UK)).

Interview

Panel interview with 3 panelists
    Presentation (6 minutes) on a topic emailed to me and presented to an audience on interview day
    2 skills tests based on work to be completed in role.
    Friendly atmosphere, interview questions based on my motivation for organisation and role, my understanding of what the role entails and competency questions.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bath, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Bath (Bath, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

During the interview process, I was asked to present my previous research project, then answered competency questions and team working questions. After that I was given a tour of the lab. There were four panelists, and the interview it self was approximately forty five minutes long, including the powerpoint presentation

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Bath.

Interview

Initially you have to fill a form that they have on their website. They have a very detailed description of the project and you have to answer specific questions as how your experience matches their requirements. You also have to provide your list of publications and contacts for references.

If invited to the interview you are invited to go to the campus and deliver a short presentation that follow some guidelines to explain your previous experience and the value that you would add to their department.

Then a panel of 3 professors would ask you questions. The first one will explain you the project and what is expected from the position holder. The second one would have specific technical questions, and the third one would have more general questions like in a regular company interview.

The visit concludes with a tour of the research facilities and they give you the answer within 2 or 3 weeks of the interview.

Interview Questions

• On the interview I was under the impression that the project was going to be completely different to my previous ones, which was not a problem for me. But for some reason they were looking for somebody who had already done the same work previously.
      The unexpected question was if I new the differences about two brands of a specific equipment.
      Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bath, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Bath (Bath, England (UK)) in June 2013.

Interview

I contacted my potential supervisor by email he asked for copies of my MSc term papers and details of my proposed research project. We arranged to meet at the university for face to face discussion. I was introduced to members of the lab and presented my proposal to the group. This was followed by further one-to-one discussion of my work plan for the project.

Interview Questions

• What is your scientific question ?   1 Answer
    • What do you propose (research project) and how will you do it (work plan) ?   1 Answer

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bath, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at University of Bath (Bath, England (UK)) in June 2012.

Interview

A staff presentation and interview with a panel from across the University. Asked questions about teaching and research. Need to be excellent in both areas and demonstrate collegiality and willingness to undertake administrative roles. Very fair but tough!

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bath, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Bath (Bath, England (UK)) in April 2012.

Interview

I was given a paper and asked to have a read through, this formed the main discussion for the interview. Other questions were more about work approach/ problem solving but no technical questions were asked. I don't know if this is typical or not.

Interview Questions

• They asked about the paper that was given as discussion material   Answer Question

Part-time Lecturer In Translation Studies Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bath, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Bath (Bath, England (UK)) in July 2010.

Interview

I was recommended for the post by the previous incumbent - email exchanges with my questions and an informal interview/tour of around 30 minutes, plus teaching a test class - no formal application through the University HR system, and the post was not externally advertised as far as I know

Interview Questions

• Content of course/how much to cover, as I had no teaching experience at the time   1 Answer

Negotiation

Fixed rate of pay so no negotiation, quite low considering the time spent preparing and marking

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bath, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Bath (Bath, England (UK)) in June 2010.

Interview

Job advertised on jobs.ac.uk. They have a full online application system. If you're short listed then you can go in for an interview, in my case there were maybe 3-5 of us. I was the only one in that day as they others were Skype interviewing from other continents. The interview consisted of a short talk on my own research followed by questions from two interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Quite open questions such as, "what makes a good simulator".   1 Answer

Negotiation

Pretty inflexible with start dates and pay, this is because of the way postdocs are funded externally.