University of Birmingham Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Birmingham Interview Questions

Updated Dec 22, 2016

2.7

Site Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Birmingham.

Interview

Short phone interview followed by an assessment centre (very easy) and short interview (around 20 minutes). Questions were very easy (basic competency questions) and assessment centre was one of those if you were on an island what items would you keep? They are more interested to the reason behind your choices and not the choices themselves

Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Birmingham in September 2016.

Interview

Roughly one month after the application I was called for interview. The interview itself required that I prepare a presentation on how I would approach the research. It went well.

However I did my homework and knew this position was set up for one of the interviewer's PhD students. And later I was told they found a more 'appropriate' candidate.

It's a shame but pretty much standard practice. I spoke to other Professors from my University and they confirmed it. So don't hold your hopes too high.

Physics Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Birmingham (Birmingham, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

I was interviews by a 4 team panel. It's was a fun and relaxed interview. I was asked some standard questions and then shown around the university.

I contacted the university before applying to come and see the department. I was fortunate to be shown around. I realised many of the machines I would be using with the job I had previous experience with so I made sure I mentioned those experiences.

Interview Questions

• Why I applied for the job?
      What previous experience made this a suitable position for me?
      Some technical questions about 2 pendulums and how to connect them?
      What I was able to bring to the job?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated and was able to get the top advertised salary.
    I negotiated via HR and I was happy that I did.

Laboratory Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Birmingham.

Interview

Applied via the online recruitment system which was quick and straight forward. Recieved an email a few days later for invite to interview. Interview was straight forward but had 4 people on the interview panel which seemed unnecessary for a technician post.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Birmingham (Birmingham, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

There was a 10 minute presentation to around 20 staff followed by questions. This was early afternoon and I returned after a couple of hours for the main interview, where there were four people asking questions. Questions were relevant and focused on the abilities and competences. The interview process was good, though feedback given was conflicting and confusing.

Interview Questions

• How would I manage priorities with next day deadlines given from the Head of School and Director of Operations on top of existing work.   Answer Question

Student Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Birmingham (Birmingham, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

I had a 10 mins interview with the person in charge of ambassadors and another experienced ambassador. They asked me around 10 questions, trying to mainly test my communication skills and the fact that you are able to interact properly with another people. Didn't get the job though, probably I applied to late.

Interview Questions

• What will you do when people are not paying attention to you?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Birmingham (Birmingham, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

General small talk followed by basic questions. Such as why do you want to work here? What makes you suitable for this job etc. Followed by more in depth questions about previous experience and what you would bring to the role. This was followed by a tour of the labs and some more general questions.

International Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Birmingham (Birmingham, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied online through the university jobs portal; 12 month maternity leave cover position. Had a panel interview, including a presentation on how I would promote and recruit in the Indian and Brazilian markets. Questions weren't typical aptitude questions, but instead asking me how I would cope in certain situations, what I thought the challenges would be, what I would do to get started quickly. Never heard back about a result, and the portal wasn't updated. All felt a bit slapdash, as if they were promoting internally and were going through the motions.

Application

Interview

The interview was conducted by a panel of two academics at the school of chemical engineering. They were very friendly and informative. The questions were never too difficult. Depending on the interviewer you may be asked random questions like: "How many tennis balls are there in the world?". Obviously, there is no real correct answer, they just want to see how you think/reason things through.

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Birmingham (Birmingham, England (UK)).

Interview

Quick chat with PI arranged through word of mouth that a postdoc was needed for a small piece of work. The interview was arranged and took place within a week and a decision was given immediately afterwards.

Interview Questions

• What are your plans for the future?   1 Answer
    • What is your background?   1 Answer