University of Birmingham Research Fellow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Birmingham Research Fellow Interview Questions

Updated Dec 22, 2016

2.2

Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Birmingham in September 2016.

Interview

Roughly one month after the application I was called for interview. The interview itself required that I prepare a presentation on how I would approach the research. It went well.

However I did my homework and knew this position was set up for one of the interviewer's PhD students. And later I was told they found a more 'appropriate' candidate.

It's a shame but pretty much standard practice. I spoke to other Professors from my University and they confirmed it. So don't hold your hopes too high.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for University of Birmingham

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Birmingham (Birmingham, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview was conducted by a panel of two academics at the school of chemical engineering. They were very friendly and informative. The questions were never too difficult. Depending on the interviewer you may be asked random questions like: "How many tennis balls are there in the world?". Obviously, there is no real correct answer, they just want to see how you think/reason things through.

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Birmingham (Birmingham, England (UK)).

Interview

Quick chat with PI arranged through word of mouth that a postdoc was needed for a small piece of work. The interview was arranged and took place within a week and a decision was given immediately afterwards.

Interview Questions

• What are your plans for the future?   1 Answer
    • What is your background?   1 Answer

Research Fellow Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Birmingham in November 2011.

Interview

The interview started with a presentation given by me about my background and skills, my research and achievements, and also how it can be related to the subject of the post-dcotoral position. The interview progressed by question from panel about my talk, skills and some competency based questions.