University of Calgary Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

I met with a PI and one of the current project managers. The interview process was smooth and the staff were friendly. I was told that there was an internal candidate already being considered at the beginning of the beginning of the interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked about previous project management experience and future career goals   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Calgary (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview took about 45 minutes. It started with some general questions, such as "tell us about yourself", then they asked about behavioral questions. It was just a question after another question, you didn't feel engaging. Finally the interview was wrapped up with salary expectation and inviting questions. In general it was a very standard interview.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Calgary (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

applied for the job few weeks back, received a call from office administrator wanting to set up an interview. very surprised it was a panel interview! interviewers printed off interview questions from internet, made minimal eye contact when reading directly off the questions. anytime i answered a question, an interviewer would try to make eye contact with a fellow interviewer. very odd movement

Interview Questions

• If you had to help the vice president, colleague, or patient; whom would you help first and why?   Answer Question

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Calgary (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online through the university website. There was no confirmation that my application was accepted. In a few days received a call to come for an interview in one week. It lasted 30 minutes, and was done by two people (direct managers, not HR). Decision was communicated through the email 5 days later.

Interview Questions

• Describe previous work experience, detailed questions about the previous research topics, describe skills, career goals, why want the job, etc.   Answer Question

Marketing Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at University of Calgary (Calgary, AB (Canada)).

Interview

Telephone screening interview. Two in-person interviews.

Three panel interview. They seemed a bit too serious which may indicate the culture.

I didn't hear from them for a few days after and followed up at the one-week mark to be informed they pursued someone else.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay abreast of current marketing trends?   Answer Question
    • In a centralized role, how do you work with decentralized resources to ensure brand consistency?   Answer Question
    • Describe your approach to developing an integrated marketing communications plan.   Answer Question
    • What is your biggest marketing accomplishment?   Answer Question
    • How do you set goals for yourself and follow a plan to maintain them.   Answer Question

Institutional Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Calgary in February 2016.

Interview

I submitted an application online, and about 2 months later I was called by HR for a phone screen. About a week later I received an assignment to complete over a few days. The next week, I had a Skype interview with a panel. It was a typical structured public sector interview, but a bit more laid-back.

Interview Questions

• Please describe the steps you would take to write a research paper.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Calgary (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in November 2015.

Interview

It was 2 round interview with 2 people each time. The atmosphere was more official than in other companies. They were writing down all my answers and that made me think that they didn't listen to me as seemed to be busy with writing. It was also difficult to see their reaction. Anyways, I got to the second interview and it was a little victory :)

Interview Questions

• A lot of behavior based questions including "what is the biggest challenge for the university in 2016?" Other questions: Why do you want to work here, Where do you want to be in 5 years, Give us an example of working independently, What are the challenges for you to be managed by several managers? Give us an example of your disagreement with your boss, How would you calculate the costs in case you need to implement a new program (I needed to say that I have to do a break even analysis first of all)? What motivates you?   Answer Question

Lecturer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Calgary.

Interview

It took a long day. In the morning, I had a mock teaching session of 90 min. Met faculty members. Business lunch. After the lunch, there was a panel interview about teaching. There were at least 20 questions. Very formal. The people are nice and professional, asking all kinds of questions. Afterwards, made another presentation about research and met professors and students. Very busy schedule.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Calgary (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in September 2015.

Interview

I had an over the phone interview with the PI. The position required the research assistant to spend a lot of time on the phone with participants, so his logic was to see how I handled a phone conversation with him. He mostly asked questions about my past work experience, what skills I had to offer, how I have handled work related situations in the past, and how I would handle hypothetical situations.

Events and Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Calgary (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in May 2015.

Interview

Fairly straight-forward, typical process conducted by the boss and the person who was in the role at that time.
    There wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Although you did have to do a decent amount of work on an assignment that was emailed in ahead of the interview.

Also, when it came time to discuss salary and I told them my range, but that it was negotiable depending on other benefits, that seemed to completely through the interviewer off... It's a line I've used many times in the past, which I believe conveys that if a company has 6 weeks of paid vacation, or phenomenal health spending accounts or bonuses then you're more than willing to take that into account during the salary discussion. But she seemed put off by it and asked what I meant by that and what kind of benefits I was referring to. Maybe because it's a union and everything is so set in stone that wasn't something she was used to thinking about but you can't expect that an interviewee is fully aware of the details of the contract without having seen it!

Interview Questions

• Time us about when you had to:
      juggle conflicting priorities
      deal with executives
      prioritize and keep organized
      etc...
      How do you deal with stress, last minute changes, obstacles?   Answer Question