University of California Berkeley Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 13, 2018

2.5

Contract Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I had a phone interview with HR, then two interviews with my department. The interviews were quite long, with lots of questions involving "tell me about a time when....". However, they were very accommodating, as I was interviewing from far away and they allowed me to do all of my interviews over skype.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you developed a new method of doing something in the office   1 Answer

Computer Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was very casual with the law library IT head. She first asked some behavioral questions about dealing with potentially difficult patrons, and then moved onto technical questions. I was required to perform some basic IT functions on a Windows and Mac computer, and then showed around the office.

Interview Questions

• Show me how to troubleshoot various internet connectivity problems   Answer Question

Outreach Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Easy application process of handing in your resume online. Recruiter will call you randomly (mine was in the evening) and ask you a series of questions related to UC Berkeley, customer relations experience, and scenario questions. If you are selected to go on to the next round, you will have a group interview with about 5 other people.

Interview Questions

• Would you feel comfortable asking a very low income family for a donation to UC Berkeley?   Answer Question

Contractor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied several months ago and was contacted by the hiring manager 5 weeks later. We had a pleasant telephone conversation followed by an interview a few weeks later. The process was proceeding: reference check and then a verbal job offer. Due to internal processes, even though a verbal offer was extended to me from the hiring manager and I accepted it, this never proceeded to a written job offer. Frustrating delays and no response from HR to my inquiries led me to believe this would fall apart. As a contractor I could no longer wait as I lost confidence that HR would come back with the required paperwork. After a 2nd due date passed, a former boss reached out to me with a limited short term assignment that I accepted. I do not place blame on the hiring dept, these delays are 100% due to mismanagement throughout the HR team.

Advice:
    Be honest
    Be transparent and take responsibility
    Train your staff
    HR staff- don't lie to the hiring manager on why I couldn't hang on and wait for you to get your act together

Interview Questions

• Explain a process you implemented, what was the end result?   Answer Question

Contracts Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Applied to their second round of job posting. Was contacted one week later by phone. This was a screening interview with a recruiter. He then set up a phone interview with the director of the department. She asked about my background and described the position. She then asked me to come in for a panel interview and case study. The case study was 30 minutes and tested my knowledge and background of the contractual issues. This was followed by a four person panel interview with employees of the other contract departments and the Chief of Staff. They had a long list of typical interview questions and took turns asking them. The panel interview lasted about 45 minutes. Immediately after the interview, I was contacted by the recruiter to set up another interview with director. I believe they chose two candidates from the panel to meet with the director who would make the ultimate hiring decision. This interview took place two days later. I expected the interview to be more of a meeting with the director to see if she liked me and would want to work with me since the last interviews vetted my background and consisted of typical interview questions. However, this interview was much like the panel interview and the hiring director asked around 20 interview questions with follow-up questions regarding my responses. It was a lot more difficult than I expected. She then took me to meet the rest of her department.

Overall the experience was positive and the recruiting contact was very nice. He followed-up with me after every interview to ask how it went.

Interview Questions

• All questions were very typical interview questions, but due to the large amount of them it was difficult to think of a different answer for each one.   Answer Question

Lead Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Phone interview was about a half hour long and the interviewer asked me to go over my resume that was submitted then asked if i had any questions of her. Thankfully i have my resume memorized so this wasn't an issue, but it did make me feel as though the interviewer did not review it prior to the phone call.

Interview Questions

• I have experienced the "what are your weaknesses" questions before but never in a phone interview. This caught me by surprise.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

It was not a difficult interview because I think they just wanted someone to fill the position for assistant for various routine/ easy tasks. My employer only looked at my resume and asked me a few questions, then went on to describe what kind of research his lab does. Then the former lab assistant showed me around and explained what the position entails.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

First is a small code question: Create a dictionary of every word in a text file and then create a matrix based on the text file. After 2 weeks, have an interview with professor on skype. Asks about my background and the projects I did. Also, the weekly work load. Get offer after a week.

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I submitted a resume and cover letter through the UC Berkeley jobs website. The first time I tried to submit the application, it didn't go through. I knew it didn't go through b/c I got a confirmation e-mail that said "We got your application for the following position..." and then the rest of the e-mail body was blank. The second time I submitted my application, I submitted it successfully. I got an e-mail the next week asking for a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me a bit about yourself and why you applied for this position?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me where you see yourself, career wise, in a few years?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me about your experience working with various sensors?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had to troubleshoot a sensor you installed?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

I interviewed through Skype with a postdoc and the professor of the lab. I was offered the job a few days later. Mostly, we talked about what kind of research I had done in my masters and some details about what the position I was applying for entailed. They asked a few standardized questions, but I got the feeling that they were looking for a general rapport with me as an assistant in their research goals.

Interview Questions

• How will this job further your career goals?   1 Answer
    • What is your experience with management of fieldwork?   1 Answer
    • Describe your educational background and familiarity with relevant computer programs.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate the salary. They let me know what the salary was going to be and I agreed that that was fine.