University of California Berkeley Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of California Berkeley Interview Questions

Updated Jun 11, 2018

2.5

Resident Assistant Interview

Interview

There were two parts to the interview. The first part had multiple panels and the second part was a group activity. At each panel, there were two questions asked and you had five minutes total to answer both questions.

Student Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

The interview process went very smoothly for me. Aleena was super friendly and easy going which made the entire process feel casual. The entire interview took about 30min with behavioral questions since this is a customer service type of job.

Interview Questions

• Describe an instance when you had to resolve a conflict.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

The interview process was easy and flexible. The projects were clearly described and flexibility on the start day. Overall the onboarding process was quite helpful. There are a lot of networking events and mentorship programs.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the research?   1 Answer

Call Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

I applied via their google form in February and was told I was on a waitlist and that I could proceed with the application in the coming summer or fall term if I wished. In April I emailed to ask that my application be considered for the summer term, and was called to set up a phone interview at a later date. At the phone interview I was asked to act out scenarios one would face working at the call center, which I was unprepared for.

Interview Questions

• Pretend I [the interviewer] am an alumnus of Cal, and try to convince me to donate money to one of the programs at UC Berkeley.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

I submitted an application with 3 short essays, along with my CV. After getting through the initial round, I went to an in person interview with the directors of the program. The interview was about 20 mins in which they asked some questions about my interest in teaching for the program and being part of the fellowship. I talked about my history with students, dealing with crisis situations, and interest in student mentorship. They asked more questions to probe about this.

Interview Questions

• How would I assist a distressed student?   1 Answer

Contractor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied several months ago and was contacted by the hiring manager 5 weeks later. We had a pleasant telephone conversation followed by an interview a few weeks later. The process was proceeding: reference check and then a verbal job offer. Due to internal processes, even though a verbal offer was extended to me from the hiring manager and I accepted it, this never proceeded to a written job offer. Frustrating delays and no response from HR to my inquiries led me to believe this would fall apart. As a contractor I could no longer wait as I lost confidence that HR would come back with the required paperwork. After a 2nd due date passed, a former boss reached out to me with a limited short term assignment that I accepted. I do not place blame on the hiring dept, these delays are 100% due to mismanagement throughout the HR team.

Advice:
    Be honest
    Be transparent and take responsibility
    Train your staff
    HR staff- don't lie to the hiring manager on why I couldn't hang on and wait for you to get your act together

Interview Questions

• Explain a process you implemented, what was the end result?   Answer Question

Academic Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Oakland, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

Applied online, received a phone call a month later to schedule an in-person interview for the following week. Lengthy interview with 16 questions, which took about an hour total. Received a phone call from the hiring manager two days later that they selected another candidate that possessed more relevant experience.

Staff Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online through the website. I was called for interview after one and half month. There were two rounds of interviews of which one was with the Director of the facility. The third one was a laboratory work, where they examined my pipetting skill. During the interview, they asked some ten questions which included basics in molecular biology and sequencing. The environment was very optimistic and they answered my queries in the best way. I enjoyed the entire process. They send me the offer letter within few weeks and I have accepted it.

Human Resources Interview

Interview

This was a one on one interview in which the interview asked me a series of behavioral and situational questions. There was an online application with written answers and an in person interview.

Equipment Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Met with direct manager, and director. Was asked questions about past experiences. Was given quite a few technical questions. Hypothetical situations where certain tools showed certain malfunctions - and what I would do to investigate and or repair.