University of California Berkeley Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of California Berkeley Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.5

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Fellowship competition. The research proposal is limited is one page and requires no references. It must propose new cutting edge research and resonate with a broad scientific audience. The key is communicating the idea and its importance without use of jargon and technical terms. It should also not be a direct extension of things that you have already done.

Interview Questions

• How do you explain your research in 3 minutes or less to someone who is not an expert.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Terms are fixed.

Catering and Events Coordinator-Housing and Dining Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

The phone interview went well. After that, everything went down hill. I was interviewed by a panel of 6 people. I wasn't aware that it would be a panel but, you have to be prepared for just about anything so that was fine. What I wasn't prepared for was what rude, lifeless, unengaging, less than hospitable people they were. The questions were broad and as an event planner, one always wants to drill down to the core of a detail--so when I tried to clarify the question, one of the women on the panel threw her hands up and proclaimed "perhaps I'm not making myself clear!" and shook her head. When I interviewed canditates at my last job, I went out of my way to make that person feel welcome so that I could bring out their best and hopelly get a good sense of them and their talents.. Nope! Just the opposite here. Part of me wanted to run for the hills as I knew I would never want to work with these people....ever. The professional in me knew I needed to finish the interview and then get the heck out of there. What a shame that they were the representatives of such a fine school!

Interview Questions

• The questions were unengaging and read from a piece of paper   Answer Question

Executive Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

Working closely with a search firm, Berkeley structured a full day of interviews with teams of people. The day was exhausting and most likely should have been split into two days. Finalists were brought in for person interviews from around the country.

Interview Questions

• What experiences do you have in driving a complex organization's mission?   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

I found the listing on the UC Berkeley website- the application form was easy to complete, and I was able to submit a resume and cover letter. I heard back within the week to schedule an interview, and passed directly to an in-person interview with the hiring committee.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience with Fundraising?   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Phone interview then a 48 hour assignment then a half day on campus interview consisted of departmental tour, meet student and staff for open panel, interview with selection committee, 1:1 with director

Interview Questions

• This position requires working with alumni of the program who may have competing priorities, how do you plan on navigating working with alumni with strong personalities?   Answer Question

Contract Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I had a phone interview with HR, then two interviews with my department. The interviews were quite long, with lots of questions involving "tell me about a time when....". However, they were very accommodating, as I was interviewing from far away and they allowed me to do all of my interviews over skype.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you developed a new method of doing something in the office   1 Answer

Student Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

I was referred by a friend of mine who worked in the resident halls as a RA and a PA. The interview process was quick and seamless, and the hiring managers were very kind but also asked very thoughtful questions. Having the referral certainly got my foot in the door, but you still have to show you're a thoughtful person. Asking the right questions can make a huge impact during job interviews!

Interview Questions

• Q: Give me an example of a data analytics project you have worked on.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

After an initial phone interview, I met with the entire team on the same day. Great interactions and conversations, and I got a sense of the job expectations and culture of the department.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you needed to handle multiple expectations from different team members. How did you prioritize your work?   Answer Question

Analyst/Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

Panel asked me questions about my work history and about the department that I was applying to see if I truly did my homework about this particular position and whether I was qualified. Three people asked me questions and they were all managers. Discussion lasted about an hour total and started at 8 am so that I could get to my previous job at a reasonably time. Plus they had a computerized question about a particular issue that I may run into with the people I supervise. It was a lengthy question and they gave me 10 min to read and answer it before the computer timed me out.

Interview Questions

• Which of the projects on our website did you find most interesting?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't much negotiation.

Facilities Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by email with a series of screening questions. After completing this, a recruiter called me and left a message requesting a phone interview. I called the recruiter back twice over two days, but my call was not returned. I finally was able to catch her in person when I called randomly one evening. The first question out of her mouth was whether I would agree to a lower salary, even though I had indicated my minimum salary in the email screening, and it was within the publicly posted range. Even though we continued the interview, I felt that we were stuck at the question of money.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked in environments where your supervisor was not always accessible?   1 Answer