University of California Berkeley Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of California Berkeley Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2017

2.5

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

After an initial phone interview, I met with the entire team on the same day. Great interactions and conversations, and I got a sense of the job expectations and culture of the department.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you needed to handle multiple expectations from different team members. How did you prioritize your work?   Answer Question

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview-- brief and pleasant
    Questionnaire--long and arduous
    Panel interview, up to 5 people.
    The HR team only wants to do one interview-- so very typical questions. However, one would expect that after an interview, some type of notification would be sent to the applicants that were interviewed. 3 weeks and no word. A failing process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when a project did not go as planned. What did you learn what would you do differently.
      Describe a difficult employee relations issue you had to deal with
      Answer Question

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

One phone interview and one in person interview with two interviewers. It was pretty chilling experience since the interviewers are really nice and welcoming. I applied it online through college program for this position. A week later, I received an email saying they would like to have me for phone interview. The phone interview only took about 10 minutes. Three hours after my phone interview, I received a phone call that they want me to have an interview with me in person.

Interview Questions

• 1.Describe the time when you have to face stressful situation and how you handle it?   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

months. Applied online through Cal website, phone screen and then a couple of in person meetings. Took 2 months.

Interview Questions

• Standard stuff - experience, pubs   1 Answer

Negotiation

Low balled on salary

Desktop Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

The interview was straight forward. I answered several questions regarding my past experience and why I deserved the position. I also provided scenarios based answers to issues that may or may not show up were I to be accepted.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you deserve this position   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Got invited for an interview after an informal inquiry for a position. The administrative assistant arrange travels and accommodation. She received me on the they of the interview and confirmend the interview procedure. I gave a presentation on previous work and proposed project / Q&A. Panel interview with 3 group members, followed by 1-1 with PI, followed by lab tour.

Contract Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I had a phone interview with HR, then two interviews with my department. The interviews were quite long, with lots of questions involving "tell me about a time when....". However, they were very accommodating, as I was interviewing from far away and they allowed me to do all of my interviews over skype.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you developed a new method of doing something in the office   1 Answer

Research Administrator III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone screen followed by an in-person interview with a panel of 4. Panel interview was about 15 questions and lasted less than an hour. Questions are very easy if familiar with functions listed on job description. No specific technical or policy questions were asked. Received an offer three weeks later.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain to a faculty member that they cannot use a specific award for an expense that would be disallowed under contract terms?   Answer Question

Library Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Rather easy interview experience, with standard interview questions. Overall the interview process was short (about an hour), and not intimidating or uncomfortable. The interview started with meeting HR who have you read the job description and review the job title. After acknowledging the full job description and qualifications with HR, I was sent to the library where the job is located. The interview panel consisted of three library employees, which one of them was the supervisor for the position. Nothing out of the ordinary and no alarming questions or unexpected issues.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the job?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Apply to grad school, if you get in, then they pay for you to visit. Unlike MCB programs, Chemistry just accepts you. I believe that the essays are important but I would say your letters of recommendation may be more important. Also, a strong previous research experience is important. Overall, the application was a bit more difficult than other programs (ex: Columbia or Penn) but less annoying than MIT.

Interview Questions

• 3 essays. Current statement, a previous research statement and a diversity statement. The diversity statement is different than other graduate schools.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't.