University of California Berkeley Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.5

Contract Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I had a phone interview with HR, then two interviews with my department. The interviews were quite long, with lots of questions involving "tell me about a time when....". However, they were very accommodating, as I was interviewing from far away and they allowed me to do all of my interviews over skype.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you developed a new method of doing something in the office   1 Answer

Library Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Rather easy interview experience, with standard interview questions. Overall the interview process was short (about an hour), and not intimidating or uncomfortable. The interview started with meeting HR who have you read the job description and review the job title. After acknowledging the full job description and qualifications with HR, I was sent to the library where the job is located. The interview panel consisted of three library employees, which one of them was the supervisor for the position. Nothing out of the ordinary and no alarming questions or unexpected issues.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the job?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Apply to grad school, if you get in, then they pay for you to visit. Unlike MCB programs, Chemistry just accepts you. I believe that the essays are important but I would say your letters of recommendation may be more important. Also, a strong previous research experience is important. Overall, the application was a bit more difficult than other programs (ex: Columbia or Penn) but less annoying than MIT.

Interview Questions

• 3 essays. Current statement, a previous research statement and a diversity statement. The diversity statement is different than other graduate schools.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't.

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was taken for a tour of the lab and told which areas of the room I would be working with, mostly preparing specimens (usually in skeletal form), lab maintenance, and basic data entry work. I was asked about my student status and my current plans for the future (i.e. job, graduate school) and asked when I would be available to start.

Sustinability Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

30-45 minute phone interview with two senior managers in the Dining Hall program. I was asked questions ranging from my experience working on teams and my preferred work environment, to how I interact with the fields of sustainability and food systems. They expected me to have done a lot of background research on their existing programs.

Interview Questions

• Q: How do you stay in touch with new developments in the world of sustainable agriculture and food?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Smooth interview process, all communication was efficient and professional from the moment i applied online. Overall the interview process was not stressful and the job position was explained thoroughly. The panel interview was good as well, showed the office/work environment and all questions were answered. the whole process took about two weeks, and was a smooth process.

Computer Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was very casual with the law library IT head. She first asked some behavioral questions about dealing with potentially difficult patrons, and then moved onto technical questions. I was required to perform some basic IT functions on a Windows and Mac computer, and then showed around the office.

Interview Questions

• Show me how to troubleshoot various internet connectivity problems   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

I submitted an online application and was later notified of my acceptance to the program. I had spoken at length with the department and professors, and so had already established a professional relationship with them. They did not interview me.

Security Monitor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Quick interview--they wanted to make sure you were responsible and quick to react to unforseen problems. Asked situational questions and realistic scenarios that you had to decide how to react. You interview with the person who will be your Unit Coordinator--mostly she wanted to see if I would fit in with her team and get along with the rest of the group, since she said there was a lot of email interaction regarding shifts and changing shifts at the last minute. She asked if my plans usually change frequently or if I was usually able to schedule my calendar a month in advance (which was required for this job since we schedule our shifts in month-long blocks).

Interview Questions

• A student is trying to sneak a friend in without showing the friend's ID. What do you do?   1 Answer

Graduate Student Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Wasn't really required to interview but many people have to answer basic knowledge to demonstrate that they can explain ideas. It was way less pressure that I had expected.