University of California Berkeley Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.5

Teacher Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I approached a professor directly and asked to be considered for the teacher assistant position for that professor's course. The professor asked me some brief interview questions about my capacity for the content of the course and my interest in teaching.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Graduate Student Instructor for this course?   Answer Question

Scheduling Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

In person interview with a set of standard questions. The interviewer brings you to a location within the Student Union to begin your interview. They were very kind and charming.

Interview Questions

• What is something you look for in a team of individuals?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Online application
    Phone interview - 30 minutes with committee panel
    In person interview - committee panel + 10 minute oral presentation + management interview with management staff + lunch with hiring managers + meet & greet with staff

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Had to email professors repeatedly, got a few meetings, they were pretty casual, mainly questions about relevant work experience. Sometimes they ask for references. Works differently for different departments. Need to go prepared to convince them why you are fit for the role. Some departments just have a GSI co-ordinator who handles the whole thing, others require you to talk to professor to assess whether its a good fit.

Facilities Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by email with a series of screening questions. After completing this, a recruiter called me and left a message requesting a phone interview. I called the recruiter back twice over two days, but my call was not returned. I finally was able to catch her in person when I called randomly one evening. The first question out of her mouth was whether I would agree to a lower salary, even though I had indicated my minimum salary in the email screening, and it was within the publicly posted range. Even though we continued the interview, I felt that we were stuck at the question of money.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked in environments where your supervisor was not always accessible?   1 Answer

Desktop Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

Submitted my resume and cover letter online. After a week or two, received an offer to come in and interview. Group of interviewers. Asked me about my past experience. Asked about technical skills, asking if I had experience with various technologies. A few basic technical questions. Majority of the interview was dealing with behavioral (hypothetical situations).

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between an IP address and a MAC address?   Answer Question

Campus Ambassador Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

There is a paper/essay application, an audition (you're auditioning with maybe 40 other potential hires), and a final interview. The audition is mainly to see if you can speak to a crowd. There is a time for you to introduce yourself individually, a role-play with another interviewee, and a group task.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work during the summer?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley.

Interview

I interviewed through Skype with a postdoc and the professor of the lab. I was offered the job a few days later. Mostly, we talked about what kind of research I had done in my masters and some details about what the position I was applying for entailed. They asked a few standardized questions, but I got the feeling that they were looking for a general rapport with me as an assistant in their research goals.

Interview Questions

• How will this job further your career goals?   1 Answer
    • What is your experience with management of fieldwork?   1 Answer
    • Describe your educational background and familiarity with relevant computer programs.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate the salary. They let me know what the salary was going to be and I agreed that that was fine.

Principal Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Contacted by an HR person a week after submitting my application online. Set up a six-person panel interview on Wednesday with 4 designers, a developer, and a manager. All very nice and had prepared questions in advance. Got contacted Friday and asked to come in for another round of interviews now with three people: web director, executive director of marketing and external relations, and an editorial director. Also very nice people who seemed genuinely invested in their work. Was told by the executive director that they are looking to fill the position fast and will be contacting me by EOW with next steps and making an offer the following week. However, I have not heard from them by EOW or by mid next week, which was odd because they were very responsive and transparent in the process. Had to call HR to find out that I was out of the race. I was disappointed by the way they handled the situation. I thought they should have let me know either way because I already was pretty far in the process.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep up with design trends?   Answer Question
    • How would you go about designing a website that would stay visually-current in 18 months?   Answer Question

Associate Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

1 hour convention interview followed by 1 day campus interview. Met with search committee all at once at convention interview. Met with various faculty members individually at campus interview. Gave research presentation of about 45 minutes, followed by 30 minute Q&A. Went to lunch with a group of graduate students. Went to dinner with a few faculty members, some of whom were on the search committee, others not.