University of California Berkeley Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

University of California Berkeley Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Nov 2, 2016

Recruitment Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Met with 6 interviewers who asked standard questions they had prewritten, very basic HR, very uncreative. left the interview feeling less excited by the lack of innovation in the interview, and felt the interviewers were robotic.

They said they'd get back to me in a week, but I had to wait a month to get any feedback after trying to contact the lead recruiter every week. I ended up being very unimpressed with the process, and felt glad I didn't move forward with a company that doesn't respect the interview process. It's clear they are unorganized and don't care about entry level employees. They can blame it on process (as a government entity) but it felt very unprofessional. I've experienced much better interviews many other places, and it's clear their process needs work.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized? how do you manage multiple projects?   Answer Question

Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I was asked via email to provide 2-3 writing samples, then invited in to speak in person with the communications director and the assistant director. We talked for about an hour, and a few days later I returned for an hour-long group interview with a couple of additional communications staff members as well as an academic researcher/director.

Interview Questions

• What specific subject areas I had experience writing about. What audiences I had the most experience writing for; how I'd feel about writing for a different set of audiences.   1 Answer

Crowdfunding Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

The first interview was over the phone with the hiring manager. It lasted about 30 minutes and I was asked questions about my work history and education. The second interview was over the phone with their crowdfunding consultant. He was very knowledgable and asked a lot of great challenging questions.

The 3nd and final interview was a panel interview with 4 people from the department. They have a list of 9 questions. In the spirit of fairness, they told me that they could not veer from the provided questions.

While I didn't get offered the position, it was a very positive experience. The folks at Berkeley were very accommodating throughout the process.

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview-- brief and pleasant
    Questionnaire--long and arduous
    Panel interview, up to 5 people.
    The HR team only wants to do one interview-- so very typical questions. However, one would expect that after an interview, some type of notification would be sent to the applicants that were interviewed. 3 weeks and no word. A failing process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when a project did not go as planned. What did you learn what would you do differently.
      Describe a difficult employee relations issue you had to deal with
      Answer Question

Sustinability Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

30-45 minute phone interview with two senior managers in the Dining Hall program. I was asked questions ranging from my experience working on teams and my preferred work environment, to how I interact with the fields of sustainability and food systems. They expected me to have done a lot of background research on their existing programs.

Interview Questions

• Q: How do you stay in touch with new developments in the world of sustainable agriculture and food?   Answer Question

Facilities Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by email with a series of screening questions. After completing this, a recruiter called me and left a message requesting a phone interview. I called the recruiter back twice over two days, but my call was not returned. I finally was able to catch her in person when I called randomly one evening. The first question out of her mouth was whether I would agree to a lower salary, even though I had indicated my minimum salary in the email screening, and it was within the publicly posted range. Even though we continued the interview, I felt that we were stuck at the question of money.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked in environments where your supervisor was not always accessible?   1 Answer

Principal Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Contacted by an HR person a week after submitting my application online. Set up a six-person panel interview on Wednesday with 4 designers, a developer, and a manager. All very nice and had prepared questions in advance. Got contacted Friday and asked to come in for another round of interviews now with three people: web director, executive director of marketing and external relations, and an editorial director. Also very nice people who seemed genuinely invested in their work. Was told by the executive director that they are looking to fill the position fast and will be contacting me by EOW with next steps and making an offer the following week. However, I have not heard from them by EOW or by mid next week, which was odd because they were very responsive and transparent in the process. Had to call HR to find out that I was out of the race. I was disappointed by the way they handled the situation. I thought they should have let me know either way because I already was pretty far in the process.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep up with design trends?   Answer Question
    • How would you go about designing a website that would stay visually-current in 18 months?   Answer Question

Associate Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

1 hour convention interview followed by 1 day campus interview. Met with search committee all at once at convention interview. Met with various faculty members individually at campus interview. Gave research presentation of about 45 minutes, followed by 30 minute Q&A. Went to lunch with a group of graduate students. Went to dinner with a few faculty members, some of whom were on the search committee, others not.

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

It varies by department/unit, so experience can vary; usually a panel.
    Some panelist are better at conducting interviews than other; they must ask the same questions of all candidates, whether or not they appy to you or not. Some panels can be strict and will not let you deviate from what is asked of you. Scheduled time is critical and sometimes without flexibility even if the interview is going well. Follow-up process after the interview can be lingering, depends on the department. Often you apply for a position, you are never informed of application status. Again, it depends on the hiring department.

Librarian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Half hour phone screen with a committee and set questions. There were no surprising questions and they reflected many of the Commission on the Future of the UC Berkeley Libraries report which had been compiled by a faculty committee the previous year. I received a request for an on site interview within a week and had the on site interview 6 weeks later. The job posting had suggested that the position would be filled by the fall, but the timing of the interview didn't support this.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with organizational change?   1 Answer