University of California Berkeley Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

University of California Berkeley Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Apr 9, 2017

2.5

Security Monitor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Quick interview--they wanted to make sure you were responsible and quick to react to unforseen problems. Asked situational questions and realistic scenarios that you had to decide how to react. You interview with the person who will be your Unit Coordinator--mostly she wanted to see if I would fit in with her team and get along with the rest of the group, since she said there was a lot of email interaction regarding shifts and changing shifts at the last minute. She asked if my plans usually change frequently or if I was usually able to schedule my calendar a month in advance (which was required for this job since we schedule our shifts in month-long blocks).

Interview Questions

• A student is trying to sneak a friend in without showing the friend's ID. What do you do?   1 Answer

Graduate Student Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Wasn't really required to interview but many people have to answer basic knowledge to demonstrate that they can explain ideas. It was way less pressure that I had expected.

Teacher Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I approached a professor directly and asked to be considered for the teacher assistant position for that professor's course. The professor asked me some brief interview questions about my capacity for the content of the course and my interest in teaching.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Graduate Student Instructor for this course?   Answer Question

Scheduling Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

In person interview with a set of standard questions. The interviewer brings you to a location within the Student Union to begin your interview. They were very kind and charming.

Interview Questions

• What is something you look for in a team of individuals?   Answer Question

Facilities Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by email with a series of screening questions. After completing this, a recruiter called me and left a message requesting a phone interview. I called the recruiter back twice over two days, but my call was not returned. I finally was able to catch her in person when I called randomly one evening. The first question out of her mouth was whether I would agree to a lower salary, even though I had indicated my minimum salary in the email screening, and it was within the publicly posted range. Even though we continued the interview, I felt that we were stuck at the question of money.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked in environments where your supervisor was not always accessible?   1 Answer

Principal Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Contacted by an HR person a week after submitting my application online. Set up a six-person panel interview on Wednesday with 4 designers, a developer, and a manager. All very nice and had prepared questions in advance. Got contacted Friday and asked to come in for another round of interviews now with three people: web director, executive director of marketing and external relations, and an editorial director. Also very nice people who seemed genuinely invested in their work. Was told by the executive director that they are looking to fill the position fast and will be contacting me by EOW with next steps and making an offer the following week. However, I have not heard from them by EOW or by mid next week, which was odd because they were very responsive and transparent in the process. Had to call HR to find out that I was out of the race. I was disappointed by the way they handled the situation. I thought they should have let me know either way because I already was pretty far in the process.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep up with design trends?   Answer Question
    • How would you go about designing a website that would stay visually-current in 18 months?   Answer Question

Associate Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

1 hour convention interview followed by 1 day campus interview. Met with search committee all at once at convention interview. Met with various faculty members individually at campus interview. Gave research presentation of about 45 minutes, followed by 30 minute Q&A. Went to lunch with a group of graduate students. Went to dinner with a few faculty members, some of whom were on the search committee, others not.

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The conversation was casual, the three interviewers followed a pre-written questionnaire, and took turns asking questions. The atmosphere was relaxed, and the interviewers were two supervisors and the interim director.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my past experience in UC Berkeley and what kind of experience I had had with HTML and CSS. There were no questions about designing learning experiences. They also asked about my weaknesses.   1 Answer

Mail Room Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Got contacted through e-mail by the supervisor in order to set up an in-person interview, conducted at I-House. Pretty informal interview, they just wanted to get to know my personality, previous experience with customer service and whether or not I could handle the mail room when it got busy. I was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you'll be able to handle the mail room during move-in seasons or holidays?   Answer Question

Student Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of California Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

One phone interview in which the recruiter asks a short series of questions that put you in the situation of negotiating a donation from a stubborn alumnus, dealing with rejection, or building rapport with a Cal alumnus.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase