University of California Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 11, 2017

2.7

Cooperative Extension Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hanford, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of California (Hanford, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

4 steps in 4 hours (8 a.m. - noon). 1) 20 minute presentation about a program I would develop to address a need in the community 2) Formal interview 3) Tour of Facility and Meet County Directors 4) 30 minute timed writing assignment

Interview Questions

• What is sustainable agriculture?   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at University of California (Davis, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Having two rounds of interview and stressful. A postdoc position does not need to be that stressful. hh hh hh hh h h h h hhh h h

Interview Questions

• what have you done in your Phd?   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation.

CRC Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of California (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

call and then in person, interviewed by three physicians, very polite and professional, asked about the work experience related to job , asked about the ways to conduct the position

Interview Questions

• how to manage the certain condition, how to avoid stress in work,....., expectations at the position,   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was none.

Accountant Affiliate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of California (Riverside, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

First interview was a panel, 4 individuals, one manager, lead from our department, a general accounting representative and an individual from Human Resourses in December of 2015. The second interview was conducted because our returning supervisor came back so a second interview was conducted to include the second candidate for the position. Another set of interview was conducted for several other candidates, I did suspect that my former supervisor upon her return was given specific instructions as to what candidate should be picked for the position in line with the requirements needed to fulfill the requirements of the new open position.

Interview Questions

• It was a structured question and something related to inter personal relations with your co-worker or supervisor.   1 Answer

Fellowship, Postdoctoral Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of California (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Send application directly to professors of interest. The professor/department will recruit by inviting applicant to visit the laboratory facilities and meet others in the department. Candidates are usually required to give a 1 hour seminar talk, describing past research, techniques.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to give a 1 hour seminar talk on past research   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is room for negotiation, however salaries are standardized by the NIH, depending on your field of study. Post-doctoral research can be long hours, but it is flexible.

Consulting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of California (San Francisco, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

They went through a series of questions.

pay

Farm Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of California in January 2009.

Interview

Applied through university website. contacted within 1 week for on site interview. Traveled to location, then had a panel interview followed by the director 1:1 interview. The interview panel were my peers in UCANR, had questions regarding the research I do. I presented a science presentation, followed by on-site writing sample over my seminar topic geared to grower perspective.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would use a split plot design in your field of research.   1 Answer
    • Describe the life cycle of 'such and such' organism.   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No, they are strict on the compensation- at least with me. They wouldn't go up any more, because I didn't have any post graduate work experience. They at least said it was related to years of work experience. Ph.D automatically places at assistant level step III, more years work experience get higher steps. Tried to negotiate my spousal accommodation, but didn't work either. They hem hawed around on it.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of California (Davis, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Overly complicated, yet informal. Seems to be up to individual departments, not standardized. You may reach out directly to principle investigators/faculty members and express your interest in their lab.

Interview Questions

• I was mainly asked to contribute to developing ideas for and writing a grant proposal that would cover my salary. This will obviously be dependent on your area of expertise, and you should research the lab ahead of time and be prepared to contribute to their specific projects.   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of California.

Interview

Some interviews were interested in my skills others were interested in my personality. Overall they seemed very focused on advancing my career as well as finding a good fit for their research team.

Resident Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at University of California (Santa Barbara, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Group interview, 2 on 1 interview, and an application essay. Interview process was mostly about demonstrating your ability to work in a group (your teamwork dynamic) and determining your social ability (ability to empathize/emotional intelligence).

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation phase - student worker contract position for 1 academic year.