University of California Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of California Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

2.8

Programmer/Analyst II Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of California.

Interview

This was an internal transition. I recall that when I was moving to my new department, there seemed to be an overall anti-new-department sentiment amongst the colleagues I was leaving behind. In fact, one of my colleagues who was due to transition with me pulled out at the last minute. The then-director and his immediate managers were judged to be nepotistic, and people felt that they threw employees under the bus in order to boost their own image within the organization.

Interview Questions

• How will you compensate for your lack of knowledge and experience in this field?   Answer Question

Interview

Department was very communicative, faculty were great to speak with, students were very helpful in sharing information about the department and courses. Students were also very responsive by email. Department was very fast in making the decision and letting you know. Visit days are well-organized.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do basic scientific research and why Berkeley?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of California in September 2008.

Interview

Researcher was in need of a Research Assistant so I emailed him and he took me in right away.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of California (Oakland, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Interview was not be taken seriously. Management panel rescheduled my interview date and time three times after they had already completed their final selection process. I am still trying to understand the point to the process.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of California (Riverside, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Their was no interview process I was hired by my research advisor. There was no interview process I was given the job and all I had to do was accept it.

SASC Tutor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of California.

Interview

You have to prepare a session on any topic or you can choose from given topics. You are in a room with three other applicants and the person holding the session. Then, you teach about any topic for a few minutes, as if you were tutoring someone. They tell you a little "how-to" beforehand. As long as you are interactive and remember their tips, it should be easy.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of California (Oakland, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

The interview process was fairly simple and professional. The interview consisted of two on site interviews. The first interview was with the Hiring Manager and another Business Analyst. It consisted of standard Business Analysis questions about requirement gathering, documentation and task prioritization. Was presented with various scenarios, technical as well as professional, to solve. The second interview was with the department's Sr. Director. Standard HR interview with questions ranging from "Why is this a good position for you?" to "What will you bring to this position?". I was also required to provide with some work samples as well as TWO professional references.

Interview Questions

• What would be your approach to a situation for with you require some feedback and you do not have your Manager to guide you?   1 Answer

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of California in February 2010.

Interview

There is no interview to get the position for the first year of tenure. Allocation of position is entirely based on some ordinary application requirements, research proposal, support of mentor in selected UC campus, and 3 letters of recommendation. To renew the position for a second year candidates present a personal progress report, justification of need to renew the fellowship, and a report by the mentor. While in certain cases candidates are selected for a 1:1 interview (or small panel interview), in other cases the renewal is granted simply after assessment of renewal application, and no interviews are required.

Interview Questions

• None. All questions were based on the ongoing research, progress report and academic plans for the future, so no surprises. The interviewee is always in control, as questions pertain to his own work. Interviewer was supportive at all times and offered good "mentoring" tips and advice.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not applicable. The fellowship comes with a closed salary amount not subject to negotiation. It is the same for all fellows across the board (except minor differences by discipline, especially in sciences --biology, chemistry, etc-- where fellows may have greater start costs, need for expensive materials, etc.)

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of California in September 2011.

Interview

Everyone in this office is very professional and helpful.

Senior Analyst Interview

Interview

Awkward, the colleagues seemed tense as if they didn't want to work there.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate