University of Cambridge Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 14, 2017

3.1

MRes+PhD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Japan, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Japan, MO) in February 2017.

Interview

Interviewed by 2 staffs in 2 sections each lasted about 20 minutes via Skype. Very fast-paced about 30 basic questions during undergrad. Friendly regardless, was asked different topics when unable to answer.

Interview Questions

• Describe your research project in your undergrad final year. What is your motivation applying for this course.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (New York, NY).

Interview

It took them months to respond, then expect you to be prepared the next day. Interview done via telephone. Simple questions. It is your duty to keep asking about the interview result, otherwise you do not get an offer quickly.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

The interview was over skype and lasted about 30 minutes. Nothing about it was particularly difficult; mostly asked about previous research experience, academic awards, etc... The only thing that really bothered me, though, was that they said that they would get back to me in a week and it took an entire month.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us about "x" on your resume?   1 Answer

Senior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge in September 2013.

Interview

Applied through email. Recommend checking the website jobs.cam.ac.uk. Got back to me for an interview a 7-10 days post the submission deadline. Interview was then 14 days after.

Panel of interviewers. Questions ranged from detailed questions about the post, specifics on my CV, what I would do in different scenarios with demanding clients, ability to reply quickly to emails, and future goals.

Interview Questions

• What aspects of the job posting do you think you will struggle with? What aspects will you excel at.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Overall time from application to interview: 2 weeks.

Interview was face-to-face, with the P.I. and a postdoc, followed by a lab tour with one of the other PhDs in the team after the interview

The interview covered experience, technical knowledge, and personal attributes (organising your day, dealing with conflict, etc.). The interviewers were happy to answer questions at the end as well. Overall, not a bad experience, though the post-doc was a little brusque.

Interview Questions

• What are three words you would use to describe yourself?
      What are the steps of a PCR?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online after seeing the job advertised on jobs.ac.uk. I received an invitation to interview approximately 4 days after submitting my application. The interview was conducted by a panel of 3 people and the questions were competency-based.

Interview Questions

• What challenges would you expect to come with this job and how would you overcome them?   Answer Question

Systems Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

First, they send some emails and after they ask to you about a presential interview. In presential interview firts they ask about CV and other jobs in my CVs and after you have a test that it consist in a code review

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

Interview process was highly formal in front of a panel of academic and administrative staff. Interview was brief, with questions focused on the role's requirements. Expect to be asked if you have any questions, and that your response will be taken into consideration as part of the application process

Interview Questions

• What sociological methods do you have experience in using?   Answer Question

Senior Accounts Payable Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied through the recruiter, and it was temporary position, so it happened very quickly. First, they went through your CV first, past working experience and your recent job position. Then, they asked basic accounting questions and some situations what you would do. Also, it involved competency based questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Are you comfortable work independently?   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

First round written application of proposed project and CV, second round written application with more details on project ('long short list of 12'). This was followed by an interview day (shortlist of 5) - consisting of a presentation in the morning (anyone could attend except the other shortlisted candidates); lunch (with everyone in the department and the interview panel); interview (7 on panel). The final day was very exhausting but the job offer came that evening.

Interview Questions

• What's so important about this archaeological project?   1 Answer
    • If you were offered this job would you accept it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary is based on experience - university wages are straightforward.