University of Cambridge Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Cambridge Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Feb 20, 2017

3.2

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

The interview was over skype and lasted about 30 minutes. Nothing about it was particularly difficult; mostly asked about previous research experience, academic awards, etc... The only thing that really bothered me, though, was that they said that they would get back to me in a week and it took an entire month.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us about "x" on your resume?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for University of Cambridge

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Overall time from application to interview: 2 weeks.

Interview was face-to-face, with the P.I. and a postdoc, followed by a lab tour with one of the other PhDs in the team after the interview

The interview covered experience, technical knowledge, and personal attributes (organising your day, dealing with conflict, etc.). The interviewers were happy to answer questions at the end as well. Overall, not a bad experience, though the post-doc was a little brusque.

Interview Questions

• What are three words you would use to describe yourself?
      What are the steps of a PCR?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online after seeing the job advertised on jobs.ac.uk. I received an invitation to interview approximately 4 days after submitting my application. The interview was conducted by a panel of 3 people and the questions were competency-based.

Interview Questions

• What challenges would you expect to come with this job and how would you overcome them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

Interview process was highly formal in front of a panel of academic and administrative staff. Interview was brief, with questions focused on the role's requirements. Expect to be asked if you have any questions, and that your response will be taken into consideration as part of the application process

Interview Questions

• What sociological methods do you have experience in using?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

Two weeks after I had submitted my application, I was called for an interview. I was interviewed by the two PIs and the HR coordinator. Although all I knew about the project was one or two paragraphs at the job description, the interview focused exclusively on how I would go through in solving all the tasks that would possibly be related to the job. They did not ask much about me and my previous experiences.

Interview Questions

• What is your understanding of X (the main concept to be investigated by the research project)?   Answer Question
    • How would you structure the literature review for this project?   Answer Question
    • How would you go about writing a bid for this project?   Answer Question
    • Which research questions would you write for the project in a bid?   Answer Question
    • How would you organize the X and Z activities that we plan to conduct as part of the research project?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

Applied online and shortly after the closing date received an invitation to interview. Had to give a 5 minute presentation on a title that was provided, about the research area being studied. Then followed by questions about the presentation, some technical research questions, about my experience/CV, and relating to how I would perform the role. It was friendly and I felt at ease. Following the interview was meant to hear back over the next couple of days but HR mistakenly did not inform me that I was unsuccessful until I contacted a week later.

Interview Questions

• What in particular would you like to point out on your CV?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

Interview process was good - 2 heads of department and the Research Associate I would be working with. They just talked through my experience, asked me some questions about my exposure to the techniques they were using, my research experience and then explained more in detail about the role

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

The interview was quick. Questions were not very technical. I think they take people base on area of expertise. I think it differs from lab to lab. I know some labs ask very technical questions.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Cambridge in June 2011.

Interview

Interview was with the PI and his colleague, and lasted around 15-20 mins. Lots of standard interview questions including "where do you see yourself in five years time" and questions about perceived problems with academia, why I applied for job etc. Only one technical question on cell culture technique used in master's project. Would advise other candidates to re-familiarise themselves with own research projects and be able to explain techniques used well.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in September 2008.

Interview

Phone interview (as I was interviewing from another country)

The university had agrreed to arrange my visa, but in the end this was not done on time and I had to arrange it myself otherwise I would not have been able to take up the job offer on time. Be aware that the Unversity of Cambridge is very very slow when it comes to administration as there is a lot of red tape to get through.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply for this position   Answer Question
    • Although you have the technical experience for this position, you do not have any experience applying it in this field. How will you overcome this?   Answer Question