University of Cambridge Research Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Cambridge Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated Feb 15, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

Job was advertised on an academic job website and they required a CV and covering letter. I did not hear back from them about an interview until 5 days after they said they would contact me. I was then only given 4 days to prepare for the interview, which was not long, given that I had assumed I hadn't got offered an interview as I hadn't heard from them in the stated time frame. I was asked 24 hours before the interview to complete a task in preparation for the interview. As I have a full-time job, I found it very difficult to find time to actually complete this task and prepare for the interview before the interview date, which I thought was a little mean of them. During the interview itself, I had 3 people on the panel, one of which was a very senior professor and did not seem very welcoming at all. I was asked some extremely technical questions as well as some really vague ones where I wasn't even sure what it was that they were asking. I felt that the panel provided very little in the way of verbal or visual cues as to how the interview was progressing, which made the interview process seem very impersonal, cold and daunting. The senior professor corrected me on some information that I had given, even though the professor was in fact wrong. I found this pretty bad form and very rude. The whole interview lasted for less than 30 mins and I got the impression that even before I entered the room they didn't want to employ me. I later found out that one of my referees had been contacted prior to me being offered the interview, despite me clearly stating on the application that they were NOT permitted to contact them before I was offered an interview. I think this is actually illegal of them. The whole process was entirely unprofessional and I feel that the interviewers knew all along that they were not going to offer me the job, which wasted my time and money. I will not be applying for any future Cambridge jobs because of this experience.

Interview Questions

• Would you take this job if it was offered to you?   Answer Question
  • What is your greatest achievement?   Answer Question
  • What skills do you have that make you feel that you are suitable for this role?   Answer Question
  • Some very technical questions about the topic of the research   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for University of Cambridge

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Contacted after a week. Had to present my research and a study relevant to the group, was asked some questions about the role, and also answered some questions related to my CV. Got the job after a few days.

Interview Questions

• What is a Cochrane review; what are the limitations of the research (study I chose)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview was predominantly an informal discussion with the principal investigator about the project he got funded, and about the relevant skills I had in relation to the same. I was asked to give a presentation for half an hour on my PhD work, and was later given a tour of the laboratory. In particular, the principal investigator was keen that I meet other members of the laboratory to get multiple viewpoints of what working there was like. All in all, the experience was very positive, and felt a bit like going to a university open day.

Interview Questions

• Describe your PhD project. What made you want to do a PhD. What are your long term career goals.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

Looked for job posted on the website.
    Sent out a few email exchanges to register interests and to make enquiries.
    Waited for 1 month before receiving the invitation for interview.
    Skype interview because was overseas at the time of interviewing.
    Two rounds of interviews with mismatch occurred at the later stage.

Interview Questions

• Would you prefer to work at our lab as a PhD student rather than as a RA?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in October 2010.

Interview

Sent in my CV and received a call to go for an interview two weeks later. I was interviewed by two professors who were extremely nice. They did not ask me any difficult questions, but they wanted to know what PhD was about, why I was interested in the job and what I could offer.

Negotiation

I emailed back to state that they should take into consideration my previous employment experience and they came back with a counter offer which I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in July 2010.

Interview

A few days after applying for this position (through email), I was informed that my CV was interesting and the screening of the applicants (for the interview) will begin soon after the deadline. Three weeks later, I was informed that I was shortlisted for the interview and I was asked to confirm my availability for a personal interview. After confirming my availability, two weeks later, some material was shared with me to go through, to understand the nature of the proposed research project, that is to be held in a week.

Interview Questions

• During the interview, I was questioned by three highly experienced professors with different backgrounds. As soon as I entered into the room, I was well received and they made me feel comfortable. Then, I was asked to explain why I think I am the right person for the project?   1 Answer
    • What would be the kind of difficulties that I anticipate in this work and how I would tackle them.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in February 2010.

Interview

Submitted CV, and called in for an interview. Had to present previous research and answer questions. No soft-skills or standard interview questions, just demonstrating technical competency and good overview of future research plans.

Interview Questions

• Many technical questions about research, literature in my field, etc   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)) in November 2009.

Interview

First I had a phone interview and then was flown in to give a presentation and have an in-person interview. They paid for the flight and arranged an accommodation for me during my stay.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The salaries are fixed in academia. So there was really not much to discuss beside science.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in July 2008.

Interview

It was a meeting with the professor but it was me who asked for it. Otherwise I would have started the job without interview.

Negotiation

For any negotiation they ask formal (paper) proofs