University of Chicago Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 17, 2017

2.7

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Chicago (Chicago, IL) in September 2017.

Interview

Casual, only asked basic interview questions. A few specifics about my experience and previous jobs. I was called for a second interview. Also two more quick conversations on the phone.

Program Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Chicago in September 2017.

Interview

Day 1: Submitted application online (I am/was an external candidate with no connection to UChicago whatsoever)

Day 6: Invited to participate in a phone screen with HR, which occurred the following day

Day 7: Spoke to HR on the phone screen for 25 minutes (The screen was pretty typical-I've listed the actual interview questions below. The HR rep was very personable and the actual conversation was as pleasant as phone screens get. Toward the end, she said I would be hearing back in a couple weeks. The morning after I followed-up with a thank you note and HR followed up with their own email thanking me for my time)

Day 28: Three weeks had passed since our conversation so I followed up with an email. No response.

Day 40: I looked for that position on LinkedIn and saw that it was filled by an internal candidate. I then looked on UChicago Career site and said the position had been filled. That status must have changed overnight because I had checked the previous day and it read "In Process"

Though the interview/phone screen was nice and informal, I would've liked a 'ding email' just for the sake of closure. I have the feeling that my phone screen was just a courtesy so that HR could say that they looked for external candidates. I was very well prepared and answered the questions thoughtfully--I don't think I ever really stood a chance.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Chicago (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

I was asked to do a phone interview, which I completed almost immediately. It was very short. I never heard back from them. Sent a follow up email thanking them for the interview, no response. Sent another follow up email 3 weeks out and they said the position was filled. It would have been nice to have been notified.

Admissions Administrator Interview

Application

Interview

I showed up for the interview early because street parking can be a nightmare. I met with the HR person who took me to the 3 person interview. The person who was to be my main boss looked bored and kept looking out the window. I never felt like I had the direct manager's attention and that they were "elsewhere".

I didn't really talk much and they kept diminishing my current employers worth and boasting about the wealth of the University. I don't remember there being any actual questions, just being led into talking about my current role.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't asked questions... just fed information to work with.   Answer Question

Bioinformatics Programmer Interview

Interview

It's just a python generalist role. Don't let them get away with inflating the title! Nice programmers there. Enjoyed the interview with everyone except for the quasi-qualified management and sycophantic table clerks (who have quite an attitude).

Unfortunately, the management and bozos are drowning the place. They don't know data or code. If you're not coding, what are you doing there with our tax dollars! That's donor money, too! They hire weaker and more junior programmers who are earnest hearted people, but pay them too low, and don't know the system enough to question the hanger ons leading it in a subpar way for their own little world. We need to fight cancer and disease, but we can't do it being held back by poor management who are scared of real stuff! Fire the non-programmers! Stop wasting money!

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite program?   1 Answer

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Chicago (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Brief first interview followed by several interviews with various team members. They expressed interest and I was repeatedly told I would receive an update shortly. Then silence. No response to email inquiries, nothing. The job remains posted as open.

Research Associate Interview

Interview

Interviewer dependent. PI was rude and condescending. Asked about my background as stated on my resume - which I was fine with - but as soon as I would speak, would cut me off and say 'ok, anyway.' He then gave me a brief run down of the work environment/duties and then ended with a misogynistic speech.

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Chicago in July 2017.

Interview

Was contacted for a brief phone interview than asked to come in the following week for an in-person interview with other coordinators and the PI. It seemed like it went really well and they told me they'd be setting up another interview with a PI who was out of town for my in-person interview. I didn''t hear anything after that. I had emailed them a couple days after the interview inquiring about when the phone interview would be and they never responded.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Chicago.

Interview

In person interview. Explained in detail all previous programming experience, and different research projects completed. discussed new research projects where I could contribute. Overall was an amazing experience, that was completed in a week

Interview Questions

• what data structures do you use in C?   2 Answers

Research Technologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Chicago (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First there was a brief phone call. Later that week i was invited to an interview. A lot of questions, but fairly easy. After I got to meet everyone in the lab.