University of Colorado Payroll & Benefits Services Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Colorado Payroll & Benefits Services Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

4.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Payroll & Benefits Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Colorado (Boulder, CO) in January 2009.

Interview

The hiring porcess is a word is LONG (for a state employee position) Please be prepared and/or understand that getting hired with any state organization is both time consuming and takes quite a bit of patience. Filling out app took about 4-6 hours and I needed to include my resume AND copies of my transcript to prove education. I also needed to enter my reference info (be sure that you note it down as your refs that you email should match those that you submittted). Then it took 6-8 weeks to get the initial phone call after the app was submitted, another 2-3 weeks to get the interview and then a few more weeks to get an offer. All in all 3-4 months from start to finish. Having hired a few people in that state system in my tenure there, that timeline is pretty accurate. One phone, one panel (3-5 people from different units in the dept which took about 2-2.5 hrs), ref. check, negotiations with managers, offer, etc. Work culture is live it, breathe it, do it and if you're part of management, there's not a lot of work life balance. People are friendly and nice but work is key.

Interview Questions

• How familiar are you with the benefit plans or what we offer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes, I was able to negotiate some in the salary area. Understand that since it's such a large institution, there's not a lot of room for vacation, salary range and benefit negotiation as a state employee since that has been determined by the state already. Be ready to negotiate with facts and not feelings since fact based is more respected by senior management.