University of Durham Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 21, 2017

2.9

Interviews for Top Jobs at University of Durham

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Durham (Durham, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

I gave a presentation to the group leader in the morning. The presentation was informal and we had a nice chat and discussion on some slides. Then I had a 40 min interview with a panel of three. They were friendly and very reassuring. There was not much of pressure but I had a bit of stress by myself at the beginning.

Interview Questions

• Tell about yourself (5min)
      What do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Why do you want to work with us?
      What is your best achievement?
      And technical questions about the CV.   Answer Question

EPSRC Sponsored PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Durham (Durham, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

We had a introduction of the program first. Then we have one to one interview. The one to one interview takes about 20~30 mins. I don't know if it is me, but I feel the interviewer was kind of rude. It seems that he think my answer is too long or not very important. Anyway, it is not a very happy interview. But I guess it's just that particular interviewer's problem.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself.
      2. Why do you want this PhD in Durham instead of other University.
      3. What do you think you could bring to our team?
      4. What makes you a strong candidate for this PhD?
      5. You said you are a team-player, what kinds of difficult you have encountered during your team work?
      6. A scientific question about the program. (Which I was so nervous so I couldn't make it)   Answer Question

Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Durham (Durham, England (UK)).

Interview

The panel was all male except for an HR representative. The panel members spent time disparaging my research area and claiming it was of no relevance to their unit. I really wondered why they had invited me. I gave a talk as part of the day. Most of those who attended talked throughout my presentation. The questions I was asked at the end of the talk were not questions but rather statements about how there would be nothing I could offer the unit. During the actual interview, one person refused to ask me a question. He folded his arms and shook his head when asked by the Vice Chancellor to proffer his agreed question. No-one spoke to me during the lunch which was for all candidates and the department, so I sought out the VC and had a good chat. Nice fellow. The best thing was that I was rung by the VC the next day to be told they decided to take none of us and to send the position to an external agency. I was then sought out by the head hunter for the next round. In his email he indicated that I had an excellent skill set aligned with the departments future aspirations. He was mortified that I had already been turned down.
    I was far more experienced in publishing, research funding, and university leadership than the person they ultimately appointed.

Interview Questions

• This area you have been researching for 20 years in healthcare, no medical doctor would take that seriously would they?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Durham (Durham, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview was basically working through the CV. They did require a short presentation (about 10 minutes) to illustrate why you are suitable for this job. There was nothing unexpected. The process was smooth and nice, however it did take longer than expected to hear from them.

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Durham (Durham, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

A tad intimidating being interviewed by a five person panel! Questions were straightforward however so long as you knew about the department staff and your own vision of how you would contribute.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Durham (Durham, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

First I introduce myself, then I discuss with the research leader about the research topic. He briefly introduce the project to me and the difficulties they have met. Then I came up with my solutions about how to deal with the difficulties. Furthermore, we exchange our ideas on how to write the codes and how to deal with the sample data.

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Durham (Durham, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Trustworthy, friendly, informative and supportive. It is easy to say that they have asked the right questions to make a good evaluation and decision. It is also important to conduct the interview with the people who will be your supervisors. Therefore, from the arrangement to the feedback it was a valuable and informative experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you choose our university?
      What is the scope of your research proposal?
      Why do you want to do PhD/research?
      Other technical questions regarding research proposal and academic background, position, publications, etc.   Answer Question

I had a better offer from another university.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Durham (Durham, England (UK)) in March 2013.

Interview

Got the email about short-listing; asked me to contact the refrees for reference before the interview; ut was agroup interview that lasted for 30 minutes; they needed documents and residence permit for verification purposes

Interview Questions

• What sort of renewable energy interventions are possible in African countries   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Durham (Durham, England (UK)) in April 2008.

Interview

Interview was fairly brief - 45 minutes focussing mainly on the project; potential avenues for further research and possible field work locations. A tour of the labs was detailed with all personnel introduced and their roles explained. The interview panel was small - 3 people who were relaxed and open about their hopes to recruit me.

Interview Questions

• What experience did I have in laboratory and isotope research and how could I transfer existing skills. Did I have experience in learning new techniques and strategies and working long unsociable hours often on my own.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very simple - would I leave the job I was currently in to accept this position - I was extremely keen on the new position so I accepted through email later that day.