University of Edinburgh Interview Questions in Edinburgh, Scotland | Glassdoor

2.6

27 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Administration Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

The whole process was quite fast. I applied online via their website. I was invited for an interview with only 7 days notice. Definitely have a thorough plan of how to get to the office where your interview is!! Make sure to allow yourself at least 40 minutes to get there if you aren't familiar with the university campus/Edinburgh (the office I had to find was in an extremely obscure place). I had 3 people on the interview panel, it felt rather informal and chatty. I felt very welcomed. The interview was only 20 minutes of straightforward Qs then a 10 minute task. The task was very easy - I had to find the name of the Head of Edinburgh Global using the university website, then find the contact details of a Student Services employee. The second part to the task was to write a reply to an email enquiry from a prospective student from America. I wasn't offered the position but found the process not that painful. A long trip for me to travel just for a 20 minute chat.

Interview Questions

• What have you done recently to develop your skills for a position such as this one?   1 Answer
    • Can you describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question
    • What sort of problems do you think you would encounter in this position?   1 Answer

Enterprise Data Services Team Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I was rather bemused by the department's interview process - I was invited to interview, and given 4 working days notice of the date, time and presentation topic to present. I was unable to attend the date and time given due to a work obligation with my current employer and asked that another date be provided - I was uninvited from the interview panel at that point. However, in what I can only describe as a pretty unorganised turn of events, I was called the night before, at 5pm and asked to come in to interview infront of a panel of 4 staff members the next day - bearing in mind, they had formally uninvited me from interviewing via email.

During the interview, I found members of the panel to be ageist in the extreme, very judgemental and quite uninformed as to the world outside of Third Sector. They quite clearly had no interest in hiring me from the beginning, and I really did feel like I had been asked to interview to tick a box in their interviewing criteria.

Any questions I asked of the panel regarding their experience at the University were dismissed. I would not interview with them in future.

Interview Questions

• Q: Did you take your current role by choice?   1 Answer

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

Interviewing process was very quick, within a week I was invited to the interview and got feedback 4 days later. There was a panel of three people during the interview for each of the main job responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• Mainly questions about how you deal with certain situations, for example if you were taking minutes in a meeting and someone contacted you afterwards to say there was a mistake in your notes what would you do?   Answer Question
    • They also asked how you would start organising a large annual conference for the researchers   Answer Question
    • I was also asked the 'usual' sort of questions, why do you want this job, what qualifies you to do this job etc.   Answer Question
    • Because this was a maternity cover position they did not ask about any future plans etc. But I would expect them to ask these kind of questions if applying for a permanent position.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

Panel interview with 4 (of a possible 5) Principle Investigators within the Edinburgh Cancer Research UK Centre. 5 minute presentation using PowerPoint, inter-spaced with questions from the panel. Following this, 30 minute interview based on material from CV and broader technical competency questions. Few soft skills questions, most of which addressed the potential hurdles faced working within a consortium structured environment. Interview closed with the possibility of asking the panel questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the most problematic technique to problem solve that I have learned?   1 Answer

MSC Informatics Candidate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

I had to send my CV, a cover letter and referees details, which were contacted to write themselves about me. However, I know some people who had to do on top for that a Skype interview or an in-person one. I had a very good feeling on how everything was processed, and got a quick response, which i accepted. There was no expiry date or fee to pay to accept the offer, which was good.

Visiting Market Insight Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

Friendly approachable person who introduced the position in great detail to me followed by a brief discussion of my qualifications. Online application followed by brief phone interview and on-site face-to-face interview in the last stage

Interview Questions

• What motivates you to take on this position?
      What do you think you can contribute to the project and do you think you have the capabilities and abilities for timely completion?
      What is your approach for completing the tasks associated with the project?   Answer Question

Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview was informal and took 40 minutes. The panel was very kind and the conversation about the role and my previous experiences and background was meticulous. Several questions about the job description and the availability to work with students at different levels (Bach/Master/PhD). Every aspect of the job has been analysed such as my personal motivation. Nothing unexpected.

Interview Questions

• Which teaching strategies you will adopt to teach to large cohorts of students?   Answer Question

Programmer Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

I was reviewed by a panel of 3 staff members. It was a friendly and comprehensive interview. Clear goals were set concerning the position. I was asked about how well I understood online education, and what my general administrative history included. I was also asked about my interest in the department as I did not share the background of the department. I was told that I would find out about the position the same day and I was called backed a few hours after the interview. I was offered the position on the same day. I was able to start my work within the week. The entire process was smooth and efficient.

Interview Questions

• They are an online based department, and thus, they wanted to know how I felt about working in a mostly virtual environment.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

One Skype interview after a cover letter and CV style application. I was offered the position a day following the interview so I found the experience good and fast. The questions weren't too probing on the whole but I found that they were indicative of what the role requires.

Interview Questions

• Questions were quite generic, but asked about when I had to handle a tricky situation with others.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for Employ.ed on Campus internship in school of Economics. Process consisted application online, submitting cv and interview. Interview was friendly though skill-based. They asked me about courses I took to see which were relevant to that job. They also looked at academic transcript.