University of Edinburgh Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 26, 2017

2.6

Administration Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

The whole process was quite fast. I applied online via their website. I was invited for an interview with only 7 days notice. Definitely have a thorough plan of how to get to the office where your interview is!! Make sure to allow yourself at least 40 minutes to get there if you aren't familiar with the university campus/Edinburgh (the office I had to find was in an extremely obscure place). I had 3 people on the interview panel, it felt rather informal and chatty. I felt very welcomed. The interview was only 20 minutes of straightforward Qs then a 10 minute task. The task was very easy - I had to find the name of the Head of Edinburgh Global using the university website, then find the contact details of a Student Services employee. The second part to the task was to write a reply to an email enquiry from a prospective student from America. I wasn't offered the position but found the process not that painful. A long trip for me to travel just for a 20 minute chat.

Interview Questions

• What have you done recently to develop your skills for a position such as this one?   1 Answer
    • Can you describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question
    • What sort of problems do you think you would encounter in this position?   1 Answer

Enterprise Data Services Team Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I was rather bemused by the department's interview process - I was invited to interview, and given 4 working days notice of the date, time and presentation topic to present. I was unable to attend the date and time given due to a work obligation with my current employer and asked that another date be provided - I was uninvited from the interview panel at that point. However, in what I can only describe as a pretty unorganised turn of events, I was called the night before, at 5pm and asked to come in to interview infront of a panel of 4 staff members the next day - bearing in mind, they had formally uninvited me from interviewing via email.

During the interview, I found members of the panel to be ageist in the extreme, very judgemental and quite uninformed as to the world outside of Third Sector. They quite clearly had no interest in hiring me from the beginning, and I really did feel like I had been asked to interview to tick a box in their interviewing criteria.

Any questions I asked of the panel regarding their experience at the University were dismissed. I would not interview with them in future.

Interview Questions

• Q: Did you take your current role by choice?   1 Answer

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh.

Interview

Very relaxed and it helps to know the supervisor beforehand. Doing a Masters here is the easiest way to get selected and kept in the circle. If you have previous research experience and best of all some sort of papers/posters then you have a much easier time getting accepted.

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh in January 2017.

Interview

The interviewers were very friendly. The committee constisted of two profs. They asked me in general why study there and what would I want to study for my phd. Actually I still haven 't got an answer from them. I am still waiting for an outcome hopefully positive given the interview .

Interview Questions

• A favorite theorem from the theory of PDEs   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh.

Interview

I applied online via the advertisement posted. I was then contacted by email to arrange an interview. The interview was informal. It was a brief, one to one interview with the survey head asking straight forward interview questions that related to the job description.

Interview Questions

• Give me examples of a time you have shown yourself to be responsible.   Answer Question

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

Interviewing process was very quick, within a week I was invited to the interview and got feedback 4 days later. There was a panel of three people during the interview for each of the main job responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• Mainly questions about how you deal with certain situations, for example if you were taking minutes in a meeting and someone contacted you afterwards to say there was a mistake in your notes what would you do?   Answer Question
    • They also asked how you would start organising a large annual conference for the researchers   Answer Question
    • I was also asked the 'usual' sort of questions, why do you want this job, what qualifies you to do this job etc.   Answer Question
    • Because this was a maternity cover position they did not ask about any future plans etc. But I would expect them to ask these kind of questions if applying for a permanent position.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

Panel interview with 4 (of a possible 5) Principle Investigators within the Edinburgh Cancer Research UK Centre. 5 minute presentation using PowerPoint, inter-spaced with questions from the panel. Following this, 30 minute interview based on material from CV and broader technical competency questions. Few soft skills questions, most of which addressed the potential hurdles faced working within a consortium structured environment. Interview closed with the possibility of asking the panel questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the most problematic technique to problem solve that I have learned?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

In almost every interview, there will be an open-ended self-description opportunity, along the lines of: "So, tell me about yourself." Often the interviewer will begin the interview with this type of question, and your answer will be one of the first things the interviewer hears from you. How you respond will set the tone of the interview, provide some direction for further questions from the interviewer, and establish your personality and attitude.

It is important to prepare a confident, clear, and precise answer to this question, using your response to cover ground you have thoughtfully considered. Aim for an answer between 1.5 and 2 minutes long. “Tell me about yourself” is a standard interview question so it’s crucial to appear well-prepared to answer it— a rambling, disorganized response, or an answer that is either too long or too short can indicate that you did not prepare well for the interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Limited.

MSC Informatics Candidate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

I had to send my CV, a cover letter and referees details, which were contacted to write themselves about me. However, I know some people who had to do on top for that a Skype interview or an in-person one. I had a very good feeling on how everything was processed, and got a quick response, which i accepted. There was no expiry date or fee to pay to accept the offer, which was good.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh.

Interview

It was based on reference in my case, typically it requires applying online through the university job portal if selected you will be contacted with invitation for interview. In interview you are required to give presentation on you past work and achievements and your ideas on current job responsibilities. Offer will be fixed salary already mentioned in the job advertisement.

Interview Questions

• Present your expertise and achievements in a 10 mins presentation   Answer Question