University of Hong Kong Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 18, 2017

2.7

Undergraduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Hong Kong (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview is super fun. People are divided into different groups for groupd discussions. There are around 10 people in each group. The interviewer will basically propose one to two questions and then simply sit there and listen. Interviewees are free to express their opinions on the questions or issues.

Interview Questions

• How do you think about the contradiction and similarities between western holidays and tranditional Chinese festivals?   Answer Question
    • How do you balance the economic development and environment protection   Answer Question

Negotiation

good

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

There are three interviews for one post. they asked for your description of yourself, background, your previous dissertation topic, strengths and weaknesses. Throughout the three days, I met the whole team and the boss on my last day.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Hong Kong.

Interview

The interview was with the Centre Director. After many questions about my experience he was keen on hiring. I asked for, and he arranged for, a contract. From the beginning, this contract had terms, which were unacceptable.

Here is what I encountered.

Normally a contract says that you write, and then get paid for the work you do. A client is then free to edit, as they see fit. Not for HKU ACRC. The ACRC contract's terms (to me) meant that a writer had to keep writing, rewriting, and editing the cases numerous times - hours and hours of research and writing - until ACRC felt like accepting it. Then, and only then, the writer would get paid.

I found this unacceptable and requested for such unfair contract terms be removed from the contract. The Director refused. So I declined their offer before getting myself into a bad situation.

What do I mean by that?

If I accepted the contract (as it was written for me) then this would have meant that I would be asked to endlessly work numerous hours, endlessly, before they deemed the report acceptable. Once they accept it, in its final form, I would get paid. If halfway thru, I chose not to continue editing and rewriting over and over again, I wouldn't be paid for all the work I already put into it; all those hours, would have been wasted.

My suggestion is that you read the fine print VERY CAREFULLY before considering this offer.

Academic Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)).

Interview

Applied online, received a phone call for an in-person interview with a small group of three employees. They each asked me questions (one-by-one) and I provided responses, which generally wanted me to elaborate upon my resume and connect my previous experience with the position.

Interview Questions

• Previous experience working with tertiary student population   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Hong Kong.

Interview

Interview process was superfun and easy. Just be confident and be ready to explain about your research project a bit. Show that you can exhibit the project an rise upto the challenge. Be open to standard interview questions like "tell me about yourself" "run me through your CV briefly"

Interview Questions

• Types of epidemiology methods   1 Answer

Senior Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Hong Kong.

Interview

The director of the research center
    - To assist the on going research project runned by the center
    - Data analysis, database management
    - Writing research paper
    - conducting literature review
    - Helping to set up the workshop
    - Mainly focus on the chinese education improvement in the secondary and primary school

Research Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)).

Interview

Applied online, received an email from the project professor for an interview. Agreed on time and went to the professor's office. The main professor and another professor from the same department interviewed me. It was more of an informal chit chat session than an interview. Told a bit about my experience and then received an offer the next day.

Very slow HR processing.

Interview Questions

• Brief introduction about yourself?
      What do you expect from the job?
      RA is not a permanent job, so what are your aims and goals?
      What is your dissertation about? What is your research interest?
      Previous experience as an RA?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Should be standardised salary based on your highest education and previous experience.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Hong Kong in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online and received call inviting to the first interview 1 week after application submitted.
    Required to complete written test within 1h. Then will meet 4 interviewers including the human resources manager.
    2 days after first interview, received call inviting to the second interview. Interview with the director and the human resources manager for roughly an hour.

Undergraduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Guangzhou, Guangdong (China)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Hong Kong (Guangzhou, Guangdong (China)).

Interview

Applied on line (with a short "statement of purpose" in English), after getting the results of the National College Entrance Examination, I was told to go to Guangzhou for a group interview. (Although all the students in the interview were from China, they need to use English in the interview)

Interview Questions

• The first question is to introduce yourself briefly.   Answer Question
    • The second question is a group discussion about your opinions on the Chinese tradition of eating shark fin.   1 Answer

Systems Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)).

Interview

1. Online programming test. Five questions to answer, the difficulty is low for people with basic algorithmic backgrounds, and you should have enough time to finish the test.

2. Two to one first-round interview. The atmosphere is okay but should ask more relevant questions.

3. Second-round interview with three people. I need to present one programming project I have done before. One of them is a professor, the professor didn't really quite focus on the presentation.