University of Illinois at Chicago Graduate Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 7, 2017

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

Coding and in person, 7 on 1 interview panel. Focus on coding languages and SQL skills. Languages to be known, Python, PHP, Java and familiarity with Oracle and MySql , skilled in SQL and PLSQL scripts

Other Interview Reviews for University of Illinois at Chicago

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago (Chicago, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

I was a well-performing student in the Professor's class. I approached her for this position. She asked me a few questions about my backgroun, i.e., undergraduate studies and work experience. Once she had satisfied herself that the project is indeed related to my past experience, she asked me to read some papers and other material on it and gave me two assignments. After I had completed those successfully, she hired me.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago (Chicago, IL) in April 2014.

Interview

First interview was mainly a cultural fit and the second one was technical. It was an easy interview. I was asked questions from PHP MySQL and JavaScript because I was being hired as PHP MySQL web developer.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago in September 2013.

Interview

Quick, easy. Screened my CV first, then invited for a phone interview with the head of the department and head of research. Had to share some of my previous research work/presentations but by the end of the interview, they offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• Why I'm interested in their specific field of research   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago (Chicago, IL).

Interview

contact the professor whose research interests you, look over some of their publications, ask intelligent questions,
    be prepared to have a trial "volunteer" period where both you and the professor determine if it will be a good fit,
    try to negotiate stipend,
    make sure you have a timeline to graduation

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago in July 2012.

Interview

Practically, there were no interview! My adviser saw my resume and told me that he will be hiring me. He talked about his future research plans and how this experience would be valuable to me.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago (Chicago, IL) in April 2011.

Interview

The interview was called an "open house" where potential candidates are all brought in. In pairs of two perspective students, three interviews with professors are held. The topic of conversation ranged from previous project history to asking how they could persuade us to join their program. There was a campus tour and a trip to Starbucks. The professors all gave 15 minute small talks to explain their work.

Interview Questions

• Why did you decide to do project X, and since you did project X, why do you want to join our program?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago (Chicago, IL) in January 2011.

Interview

It took us forever to schedule the phone interview because my emails kept going into the spam. But after the time scheduled, the interview was relatively with only basic questions. I got the offer a few days after the phone interview.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago in January 2011.

Interview

1 to 1 interview, asking questions about past experience, interested field, future career plan. process was straight forward.this space needs more word so more words and words. and more word and more words and more words needed for thsi space.

Interview Questions

• 1 to 1 interview, asking questions about past experience, interested field, future career plan   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harbin (China)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Chicago (Harbin (China)) in March 2011.

Interview

Phone call interview and talking about the research background and programming skills. Discuss the projects that I have done before. Get the admission from graduate school and then pass through the qualify exam especially for PhD students. Some times you will be asked for a oral test if your TOEFL oral test score is not higher than 25.

Interview Questions

• How are you going to do if you have different ideas with your supervisor?   Answer Question