University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 23, 2017

2.4

Student IT Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Urbana, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

first submit a online form to apply
    then they will send u email to interview you
    as an uiuc student, they interview me by asking behavioral qs
    if they like you they will let u work there within 2 weeks

Interview Questions

• why i choose to work here
      why i think i can work here well
      do i know linux instructions
      Answer Question

Interview

Contact the Professor directly, and got an interview immediately. We talked for about half an hour and it is all research questions. He checked my understanding about some basic concept that I learned during undergraduate.

Interview Questions

• It is all research related questions   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Urbana, IL).

Interview

It took 2 months for me to get an interview. The interview process and questions were easy. This is good and bad. It's good if you're not good at interviews, but know what you're doing. Then for a tech position, it should be easy to answer the questions, which they seem to care about more than the behavioral ones. It's bad because they could end up hiring someone incompetent.

You interview with a committee. Typically, a third of the members will know specifics about your position. The rest will be from other departments/positions on campus. Usually after the position closes, they will review all applications and decide to interview the top 3-5 candidates. The committee has a list of pre-defined questions that they'll ask every candidate.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What is one advantage and one disadvantage for using tables in HTML?   Answer Question

Negotiation

If you're hired under a grant, then the salary is usually non-negotiable.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Champaign, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

two senior chemist interviewed me, they are nice people. And they are more focused on your past experiences and what you learned from it. It is not very difficult questions and finished about in 20 mins, not stressful at all.

Grader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Urbana, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

A professor met me at a cafe and explained me about the position and asked if i was willing to work for him. I was more than happy when i heard about the position as it matched my skill set, so i liked the position met him the next day for an interview and finally cleared the interview and got a job.

Interview Questions

• Q: what background do you have in marketing?
      Q: how good are you in case solving?
      Answer Question

Assistant Director of Career Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Champaign, IL).

Interview

Resume, cover letter, and list of references were submitted. Then moved straight to an on-campus interview. During the half-day, on-campus interview, I met with the search committee, the entire staff, the leadership team, and did a 30 minute presentation on a topic that they guided.

Interview Questions

• They liked to ask what their Center could be doing better from the outsider's/applicant's perspective.   Answer Question

Faculty Interview

Interview

Illinois follows the standard academic process: First, there is an initial interview, usually at meetings. Second, there is a campus visit with a seminar and appointments with faculty. You also meet graduate students. Candidates are asked about their current research and future plans, as well as about their teaching interests.

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Champaign, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was straightforward. After applying for job online (jobs.illinos.edu), the search committee invites for you for an interview. The committee consists of selected 4-6 faculty from within that department as well as an HR representative. You will be asked to present a mini lecture generally on a topic related to the courses they are hiring for. The search committee members all have behavioral questions prepared mainly to assess your personality and how you will fit in with the department. The search committee is generally composed of random faculty who may not even specialize in they area they are hiring for. The key advice is to be amicable and professional. It would be a good idea to search online for the typical questions they ask for teaching positions. Practice your mock lecture. If you are truly passionate about teaching and have plans to change things, be careful on how much you share during the interview as this my rub some folks (especially if they are not as passionate about teaching) the wrong way. Overall, realize that even if you are hired it is highly likely that you will not interact with any of the committee members so make sure to put your best foot forward and avoid anything controversial. Make sure you contemplate about your teaching philosophy.

Office Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in May 2015.

Interview

After applying via email I was contacted a few days later to come in for an in person interview. It was very casual and done by about 2-3 people who worked in the office. They mostly asked about my experience and availability.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience with Microsoft Office?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Champaign, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview process is simple and easy, just get through your resume and let you share your previous experiences listed in your resume. Getting more details about the project from the interviewer.

Interview Questions

See What University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Employees Are Saying

...

Star Star Star Star Star     Current Anonymous Employee

Pros: “Benefits colleagues opportunities hours pay”“Benefits colleagues opportunities hours pay” – Full Review