University of Iowa Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at University of Iowa

2.4

Patient Services Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Iowa (Iowa City, IA) in May 2012.

Interview

Sent in my resume 3 weeks out I received a call to set up a phone interview, it lasted about 15 minutes. 2 on 1. They explained what the position is like and then proceeded to ask regular questions like why do you want to work with us?

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Iowa (Iowa City, IA) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Got a call requesting I come in for an interview. Attended interview. About 30 minutes long. Basic technical questions. My experience meant fewer tests. Overall nice people. Received an offer the following week. Took the weekend to think it over and eventually accepted. Can't say I regret it, though recent changes in upper management have been extremely troubling.

Interview Questions

• What was a challenge you encountered and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Social Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at University of Iowa (Iowa City, IA).

Interview

The interview was okay. They asked questions pertaining to the duties of the job. The department head was there as well as three other social workers.
    I was never made aware of the fact that I did not get the job, however the position was re-posted 5 weeks later, which is what indicated that I was not being considered.

Interview Questions

• "what do you think you would catch on to the quickest and what do you think would take the longest to learn?"   Answer Question

Catering Assistant Interview

Interview

first receive an email from the supervisor concerning the possible time to conduct an interview; then during the interview I was asked about my expectation to the future work

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions indeed and not too much questions for this position   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Iowa (Iowa City, IA) in December 2015.

Interview

More conversational than a typical interview. It was very relaxed and inviting, which is really nice for an undergraduate student. I felt like we really got to know each other quickly.

Interview Questions

• What are you studying? What do you want to do with that?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Iowa.

Interview

In order to interview for this position I first had to go through an application. We had a short application process including references, information about involvement in activities, other jobs and organizations, and a few short answers. Once the applications were all received they narrowed it down and called in applicants for an in person 2:1 interview. It only lasted about a half hour and was the final step in the process. Final decisions were made around April. Nothing out of the ordinary. All questions were typical.

Interview Questions

• What past experiences make you qualified for this position?   Answer Question

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Iowa (Iowa City, IA).

Interview

Interviews are usually conducted in a meeting with several administrators and staff people. These are typically people you'll eventually report to and work with. You'll be assessed with regard to how well you meet the qualifications REQUIRED for the job - skills, experience, education, certifications, etc. You'll also be evaluated on how well you satisfy the DESIRED qualifications. So, take some time to review these and let them be reflected in your cover letter and job interview process. As someone who has also been on the other side of the interview table, I can say that the process is designed to be very equitable with all candidates fairly evaluated by an impartial interview panel. This helps ensure effective and fair hiring.

Interview Questions

• Questions typically address past work experience and what draws you to the opportunity you're applying for. Some technical questions would be asked to determine basic proficiency. You'll also be given an opportunity to ask questions.   Answer Question

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Iowa (Iowa City, IA) in January 2011.

Interview

UI likes to hire/promote internally if a qualified candidate applies. The known evil is often preferred to the unknown, but it depends on the job, department and who the applicant is. External people get hired at least as often as internal people, but there is a healthy mix. All interviews must be identical, so expect a phone interview if you live in town. Complexity of questions or process depends on the level of job and the hiring department.

Interview Questions

• Basically they will ask tech questions that any idiot in the space of the job they're applying for should know.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Don't be afraid to haggle

Administrative Services Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at University of Iowa (Iowa City, IA) in August 2011.

Interview

I applied during the summer but didn't get a call for quite a while, so it was a bit of a surprise to say the least. The UI has a great system that requires a search committee for every professional hire, so it's not just you and one person during the interview. I believe there were at least 5 people on my committee. They all took a chance to introduce themselves and tell me what they do in the organization, and then took turns reading off the questions for me to answer. They were mostly, "give an example of a time you..." questions, and since I had plenty of experience, and had read the job description and requirements in advance, they were pretty easy to answer on the fly.

I was 8 months pregnant so I was very nervous, but everyone was very welcoming and never mentioned my gigantic tummy. When they asked me what my timeline was for starting, I felt I needed to be honest and let them know how far along I was, because the start date they wanted would have been right around when I was due to have my son. Still, they were very warm and happy for me, and it didn't seem to phase them that I needed to wait longer than they wanted.

Next, I went in to an empty office and did an hour of soft skills computer work which included drafting a memo in Word and I think mail merging something, and creating a spreadsheet to meet a couple of different scenerios in Excel. It wasn't anything I couldn't google if I got stuck.

Interview Questions

• "If you were needing to send out a mass mailing, tell us what process you would use,"   1 Answer

Negotiation

They were flexible with the start time, and accepted my offer to increase the starting salary after a check-in with the committee.

Marketing Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Iowa (Iowa City, IA) in February 2013.

Interview

Very informal and friendly. I thought everyone there asked me fair and relevant questions. I felt comfortable to speak freely. This was a very good learning experience for myself. I think they did a very good job interviewing me.