University of Leeds Interview Questions in Leeds, England | Glassdoor

2.9

26 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Project Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Filled out online application. Heard about 2 weeks later that I had an interview in 3 weeks. Interview was with 4 people - 3 from the school of business research group and one from HR. Lasted 30 mins. I had some strong transferrable skills and relevant experience but the attitude in the room seemed to be of indifference, as if they were going through the motions. I wonder if there was an internal candidate lined up. One of the interviewers kept yawning and looking around the room after asking her questions. I've never experienced that before in an interview -extremely off putting! Whole interview style seemed overly formal, humourless and outdated - four people lined up opposite the interviewee, asking rather poorly constructed questions. I saw both the interviewee before me leaving the interview room, and the interviewee after me waiting in the foyer. Inconsiderate scheduling.

I have previously had an interview for a position in the school of design, which was a far more enjoyable experience, mainly due to the encouraging and engaged attitude of the interviewers.

Education Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview began with a three part test. It was described in the email as a computer and data accuracy test, but it wasn't quite like this on the day. There were three questions, each requiring a written answer of ~100 - 150 words. The first was 'How would you describe the colour yellow to a blind person'; the second was to draft an email response and the third was a scenario in which I was asked to come up with an action plan as to how I would deal with 300 emails before a deadline. This seemed a little over the top for a standard admin position.

I then had a panel interview with three members of the admissions team. The panel took turns asking me around 3 - 5 questions each and then invited me to ask any questions I had. Overall it felt quite clinical and the interviewers seemed in a rush to get through their questions and so there was no real opportunity to have a proper conversation or to go into any real depth.

The response was quick and I was informed that I would not be offered the position. This was fair enough except for the fact that the main reason they gave for declining me was "a lack of experience." This was something they should have vetted out during the initial application form (which required me to give my full employment history as well as 10+ written supporting statements.) As a result, even bothering to interview me in the first place was probably a waste of everybody's time.

All this said, I have worked for the University before and it was great, from the interview process to my completion of the role. It just seemed that on this occasion the process could've been much better and accurate during the assessment stage of the written applications.

Interview Questions

• 1. What do you think are the main objectives of the admissions department?   1 Answer
    • 2. What did you think of the computer test?   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Submitted a cover letter and CV in addition to filling in specific answers to approx 28 statements (this is the norm for all Uni Leeds applicants).

Had an interview with a panel of 3 academics (one was a business manager of the university). Included a presentation on my scientific interests (10 minutes). They then asked a series of questions relating to my past experience and what I knew about the project.

Interview Questions

• If you came across a technique you weren't experiences in, what would you do?   Answer Question

Undergraduate Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

20 minutes interview about motivations for me to join the project with the LUBS employability officer and the Centre of Decision Research Director. Both very friendly and put me in a comfortable position to speak. Stress of the interview in such situation disappeared just after the first introductory question.

Results of the interview after one week.

Interview Questions

• What did motivate you to join this project?

Why do you think you are fit for the role?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

I was asked to present a topic related to the research subject for 10 mins. The interview panel was made up of 3 people. They asked me various questions about my background, why I choose this role, technical questions etc.

Postgraduate Research Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Interview

Notified of interview via email.
    Face to face interview with 4 interviewers lasting 50minutes to an hour
    Notified of outcome within 24hours
    Opportunity to ask your own questions
    A typical standard administration / support interview where their interest is in the team work and institutional ethos

Interview Questions

• Various problem student scenarios, how much knowledge with regards to higher education and the overall learning environment   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

Followed from an informal interview over the telephone. I got a five person panel interview. There is a skill assessment on my technical competence and project management knowledge. For the interview I managed to agree a date which was not the main interview date originally offered owing to my family commitment. It showed the employer's care about staff.

Interview Questions

• You were in a meeting attended by senior colleagues to review your proposed IT project. 3 managers raised questions on your proposal document because it reads too technical. What would you response.   1 Answer

Seasonal Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online to be a seasonal team member for the open days at the University. I was later asked to attend a group interview where we were tested on how well we know the university.

Interview Questions

• How have you benefited from the University's facilities?   Answer Question

Summer Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

face to face, interviewed by supervisor. last 10 minutes. informal one. just like chatting. can say anything. face to face face to face. did not prepare too much. just be yourself. only several students apply for it

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Leeds (Leeds, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Half a day visit with 15 min joint seminar (with other candidates) lunch with lab members and interview by 3-person committee. Seminar was open to everyone in department. Also saw presentations of other candidates but not allowed to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Look at these immunofluorescence images (showed a Figure from a recent paper by the lab). Clearly these mutations are doing something. What would you do next?   1 Answer
    • Do you know about the method by Zhuang and colleagues? How were they able to use a neat approach for two-colour imaging?   1 Answer
    • How many papers do you plan to publish?   1 Answer