University of London Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of London Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2017

2.9

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I flew to London for a 10:00am interview at Goldsmiths University, which required an overnight stay that I was not reimbursed for. (I was reimbursed for the flight.) Upon entering the interview, it was obvious that I was a place-holder, filling a requirement for publicly advertising the position, as the people I would be working with and for were not even there, and results were to be shared later that day. Therefore, I began the interview knowing that I already didn't have the job and that I was out quite a bit of money for my trouble.

Interview Questions

• Will you be okay teaching evening courses? (This was not how the position was advertised.)   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of London (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

A 45 minute excel test followed by roughly 1 hour long interview. The three women that interviewed me were all extremely nice and made me feel very calm and settled. They were chatty and made the whole experience feel so much more relaxed. I got very good vibes from the panel, they were engaging and they seemed to take a real interest in what I had to say.

Customer Reporting Analyst Interview

Interview

I was invited to attend an interview at the Stewart House building. I went to the relevant floor where the department was, but had no idea what room to visit as there was no sign. I went back to reception and was told to go to Senate House and that I attended the wrong building. I went there, but was taken back to Stewart House after I was informed the reception team erred. I found this frustrating and careless, because the Steward House reception team should've had my name on the interview list but didn't. Additionally, the invite email should have had the room number/label which is why I wasn't able to find the interview room in the first place.

When I finally met the interview panel, I was surprised that a test was scheduled despite the fact they never noted this to me on the invite email, which again was careless. This meant I couldn't prepare for the test to increase my chances of success, so I was unhappy with this. They didn't have the test ready and waiting for me shockingly, so as I sat there waiting, an interviewer took his time by attempting to find the test! I couldn't believe how disorganised they were. It gets worse, because the test I did had the wrong instructions, i.e. it instructed to use an application I wasn't allowed to and that I had more time than allotted.

As for the interview, the panel comprised three interviewers, two of which lacked the common courtesy to proactively shake my hand and introduce themselves! The head of the panel thereupon introduced the other two members 5 minutes into the interview! Poor interview skills! Also, there was no table or desk separating the interviewers and myself, so I had no-where to place my notes. I was very unhappy with this. Instead, we just had chairs. Two of the interviewers were sat further apart from the other one, strangely. One of them looked completely disinterested and was not paying attention throughout. None of the interviewers took notes as I answered their questions, which was surprising as I knew they would not memorise my answers, especially when a few of them seemed disinterested! I found it really odd that 1 interviewer never even spoke to me throughout so she asked no questions at all! What was the rationale being there when she didn't plan asking anything? The main interviewer seemed very cold, rigid and monotone which was a bit unsettling. The interview ran longer than scheduled, illustrating lack of time-management.

On the whole, this was an awful experience given their disorganisation, unprofessionalism and unpreparedness. They really need to cognise and implement the basic best practices of interviewing, otherwise they will set a poor example by demonstrating weaknesses they wouldn't want new recruits to demonstrate.

Interview Questions

• What is your notice period?   1 Answer

University of London Response

Apr 21, 2017 – Recruitment Adviser

Good Afternoon, We would like to thank you for this review of the interview process for the Customer Reporting Analyst. We are deeply disappointed to hear that your interview experience was not a... More

Careers Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

There were three stages: telephone interview then two panel interviews with exercises. In the first panel interview, I also had to deliver part of a workshop I prepared and delver 121 guidance (unprepared). In the second, there were two unprepared exercises.

Telephone Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of London (London, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

Telephone interview just to see how you are on the phone and to set up a face to face assessment where they test you on your telephone skills. During the mock conversation, they try throw you off a bit by acting like an irritable customer.

Finance Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at University of London (London, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

I was not interviewed before starting working (They phoned me to start on a Friday after having received a phone call some days before from the Careers group agency which works in the same building)

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of London (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

phone interview followed by in-person interview and presentation on the day with a couple of researchers from similar backgrounds. Then I had QnA section which quite reminded me of my phd defence long time ago. Feedback were provided immediately after the day interview, but it seemed to me more like a normal academic discussion.

Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of London (London, England (UK)) in July 2014.

Interview

I was asked to prepare a ten minute presentation on my research and pedagogical philosophy, which I would present just before my interview took place. I was given two weeks to prepare for this.
    When I arrived on campus, I was given a short tour of the department and I had lunch with the other candidates and some members of staff. I was then brought to the interview room where a panel of four people were waiting to interview me. I gave my presentation and I then interviewed for approximately 15 minutes. I was asked perhaps 9 or 10 questions in that time. The panel were very friendly and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Which members of staff would you like to collaborate with?   Answer Question

Publishing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of London in June 2014.

Interview

Lengthy online application process that included providing detailed answers to three skills-based questions specific to the role. Was invited for an interview within a week of the closing date that included preparing and delivering a presentation to three staff and departmental head. Interview was due to last an hour, but lasted just thirty minutes. Panel questions mostly consisted of those asked for in the original online application, requiring repeat of answers that had already been detailed thoroughly in the online application. Rejection followed day after interview. Feedback provided, but not something that could be absorbed beyond gaining niche skills only of relevance to that role and not of general use in wider industry.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of London (London, England (UK)) in September 2013.

Interview

very good interview, goof boss