University of Manchester Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Manchester Interview Questions

Updated Jun 8, 2017

2.6

Ra Interview

Interview

Had simple questions in basic physics. The interviews were straight out of a book and had simple answers. Nothing about anything hat requires deep thinking. At times they mocked at my answers, guess because my accent wasn't british.

PGCE Secondary Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Manchester (Manchester, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

A 5-minute presentation on a subject given on the day (we had 10 minutes to prepare the presentation). It all depended on how lucky you were to get the better subject - some subjects were more creative than others. This was followed by an interview and answering a few questions regarding a research paper about Ofsted.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between mass and weight?   1 Answer
    • How do you deal with noisy students?   1 Answer
    • Have you passed the skills tests?   1 Answer

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Interview

The interviewer was so nice and patient. He asked me 4 questions only and give me time to asked him. The whole interview was relax. And would have some yr2 or yr3 students show you the campus and introduce you about the university

Negotiation

Phd Position Interview

Interview

just face to face 1:1 meeting
    (it was not very difficult - who I am, which project interests me, plans after PhD)
    visa was very easy to be obtained too
    the interview process depends a lot on the type of supervisor you are interviewing for - in my case, the supervisory team were happy to sponsor for my phd

Student Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Manchester (Manchester, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview was preformed in an assessment centre, as stated on their site. The assessment centre involve two group tasks and one skill assessment in almost a group of 8, depending on the size of your interview groups, including a short presentation and a task prioritising analysing task that would be discussed within a whole group. The interviewers did state that there are four other batch of students that are going to be accessed for the role, and the number of the role available is still uncertain. The skill assessment with proof reading and error spotting on budget sheets and other data, excels.

Interview Questions

• You need to proof read a short passages (including three paragraphs) in 5 minutes and correct all the mistakes on the paper.   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Manchester in November 2016.

Interview

I had an informal interview with three of the researchers involved,which lasted approximately 30 minutes. A number of these questions were in relation to an article I was asked to review beforehand. I was also offered a tour of the facilities after the interview.

Language Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Manchester (Manchester, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied through their website, filled an application form in and emailed it to the relevant person. I was shortlisted for an interview within a week. They arranged an interview with me and asked me to deliver a demo lesson. It went really well. The interview panel was very friendly, approachable and professional people who knew what they wanted. I was pleased that I was offered the job at the end of the interview.

PHYSICS Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Manchester in June 2016.

Interview

Put candidates at ease - Interviewing can be stressful, so do your best to help candidates relax. Make sure each candidate is greeted and escorted, if necessary, to the interview location. Start with low-key questions.
    Don't judge on first impressions - We've all met them, people who don't make a great first impression but end up being great employees. To make sure you don't overlook these diamonds in the rough, withhold judgment until you've had the chance to thoroughly evaluate a candidate's capabilities and potential.
    Tell the candidate a little about the job - While you don't want to dominate the interview time, you should start with a brief summary of the position, including the prime responsibilities, reporting structure, key challenges, and performance criteria. This will help the candidate provide relevant examples and responses.
    Don't be afraid to improvise - Plan your questions, but don't feel you must ask only those you've chosen in advance. Be responsive to what the candidate tells you, and build new questions off their answers.
    Listen - If you are doing most of the talking during an interview, you will not be able to obtain enough information to distinguish between candidates or to determine a candidate's true competencies. A general guideline is to spend 80% of your time listening and only 20% talking.
    Take notes - While you won't want to transcribe everything the candidate says, do write down important points, key accomplishments, good examples, and other information that will help you remember and fairly evaluate each candidate. An interview guide, prepared in advance, will make note-taking easier and give you a structure for capturing key information.

Biologic Studies Group Project Support Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Manchester (Manchester, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

You have to do a data entry test, which is timed and lasts 15 minutes. You are asked to enter data from a patient's history sheet into an Access database. [Apparently I didn't too well on this though I have experience working in Access]. Then there was the interview with three members from the group. It's office-based work so the dressing style should be formal. The interview lasted about 20 minutes, including the time reserved for you to ask questions and be answered.

Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Manchester.

Interview

the process is via UCAS for most high school grads. the overall university experience is really good. it helped me develop academically and personally.the facilities in the university are also great as an undergrad it useful features you must consider whilst applying for universities