University of Maryland Global Campus Academic Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Academic Advisor

University of Maryland Global Campus Academic Advisor Interview Questions

Interviews at University of Maryland Global Campus

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Largo, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Maryland Global Campus (Largo, MD) in October 2013.

Interview

The interview was very thorough. They asked a lot of scenario based questions and even had me do a mock phone call with a student. I interviewed with one person and was given a tour of the building.

Interview Questions

• They asked how well I work under pressure with difficult situations.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for University of Maryland Global Campus

Anonymous Employee in Largo, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Maryland Global Campus (Largo, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

I got an email stating my application was succesfully sent. Then within 5-7 business days I got an email stating someone wanted to speak to me for a phone interview. I scheduled the phone interview, than had two more face to face interviews and was hired for the job.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you? What do you bring to a team? What is your greatest accomplishment this year? Why do you want to work for UMUC? Why do you want to be an Academic Adviser? Can you handle being micromanaged? Can you tell us a time something you did had a bad affect? Do you know the role you are applying for? Are you willing to work Saturdays, and days that you were intended to have off? Tell us a time you felt that you accomplished something at work?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in University Park, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Maryland Global Campus (University Park, MD) in July 2018.

Interview

Somewhat long interview process but went by pretty quickly. Training is the longest part, your training for a few months until you are full fledged advisor. Was hired in July and finished training in September. It is more of a call center than a school.

Anonymous Employee in Largo, MD

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Maryland Global Campus (Largo, MD) in August 2010.

Interview

Interview was very well-run. Generally you meet with one upper level management and a direct supervisor. Writing sample is required. No oddball questions; pretty straightforward process - why you want to work there, situational questions, background experience questions, etc.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Academic Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Maryland Global Campus.

Interview

I was contacted by the HR person after 2-3 months of applying and she asked if I am available for an interview at the advisor career fair. I was told to bring my resume, cover letter and a writing sample. They gave me two choices for the writing sample. The interview was okay. They asked a lot of questions about different job situations and how would you handle it. two people interviewed me

Interview Questions

• How do you respond in a previous job when you had to perform a job function and you are waiting on the manager to give you instrctions?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Largo, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Maryland Global Campus (Largo, MD).

Interview

Good interview. Basically questions on handling customers and students. Very relaxed interview that made me feel comfortable throughout. Tour of the facility was nice and met the staff. The staff was very informative on what was expected of the job.

Academic Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Maryland Global Campus in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted within 3 business days via email to schedule a phone interview. I emailed back letting the recruiter know what times I had available. She called me later that day for a brief interview. She told me that she would forward my answers over to the hiring team and let me know if they wanted to move forward. I got a call the next day from that recruiter letting me know that they wanted to move forward with an in-person interview. About a week later I interviewed at their campus in aldelphi because they couldn't get me cleared or something to interview on base where I would be working. It was a 3 person panel interview. It lasted about 40 minutes. It went well and they didn't ask any questions I didn't know the answers to. After 2 weeks i followed up with the recruiter because I had not heard back, and she told me they ended up going with an internal candidate (hate when that happens). She apologized that she had not let me know sooner, but said it was because the hiring team liked me and wanted to try to create another position for me. She said she would continue to keep in touch to give me a timeline on that process. I haven't heard back since, so I am assuming it's a no.

Interview Questions

• What would you do first if you came in for your shift in the morning and you have voicemails to answer, 100s of emails, and a student in the lobby waiting to meet with you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Largo, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Maryland Global Campus (Largo, MD) in November 2014.

Interview

All those brought in for interview are sitting in chairs waiting to be called forward. 8 sets of two current supervisors in the specific department will conduct interview. They ask 3-5 questions related to position and judge answers and past experience. If you pass the initial review they will have a team of current advisors take you on a brief tour of the departments and where you would be working.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you were dealing with a frustrated student and what you did to ease their anger and fix the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Largo, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Maryland Global Campus (Largo, MD) in July 2013.

Interview

Was offered an interview about a month after applying. From there, came to interview in person and was offered the position about two weeks later. The interview was conducted by a panel of assistant directors who asked me a series of very standard interview questions.

I smiled often, played up my collegiate student affairs background, and talked at length about how I was interested in higher education. I was not taken on a tour of the office, and the whole interview itself took about 30 minutes.

Overall there was a lot of uncertainty between application - interview and interview- offer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?

What is your experience and background with higher education?

Are you comfortable with speaking on the phone?   Answer Question