University of Maryland Global Campus Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Maryland Global Campus Interview Questions

Interviews at University of Maryland Global Campus

2.6

Adjunct Faculty Interview

Interview

The hiring process was excellent. I had an interview and talked with several faculty and staff for them to figure my management and leadership capabilitites. From there I waited for a bit ewhen I got a call for an offer.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Maryland Global Campus (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Submitted for position online and received request to schedule a phone interview a few days later. Interview took one hour that was a casual conversation. Offered the position after the interview.

Adjunct Faculty Interview

Interview

Phone interview was followed by a verbal offer, then a referral to HR. After the phone interview, there was very little personal contact. Most of the correspondence is by email.

Anonymous Employee in Adelphi, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Maryland Global Campus (Adelphi, MD) in February 2013.

Interview

Phone interview was held for an hour. There were three academic directors involved. Main interviewer was MBA program director, others were HR director, and one more unknown director. They asked question one by one, and I have explained to them about my academic as well as company executive experiences. Main director offered me an adjunct faculty as a full professor considering my 11 years of university faculty experience, and I have accepted right away.

Interview Questions

• Why do you apply to our job? What kind of teaching experience do you have? How can you teach adult students effectively? etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Adelphi, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Maryland Global Campus (Adelphi, MD) in May 2012.

Interview

Applied through online system. I was initially interviewed informally over coffee by the program director to gauge my interest in the specific assignment she had in mind for me. (Course development for a new degree program.) I wasn't all that thrilled, initially, as I wanted to teach, When she explained that it was her practice to assign the course developer to teach the first section of the new course when implemented, I agreed. She then arranged for a formal telephonic interview with herself and another program director. The questions were typical academic interview questions and the interview was a much as them explaining the expectations of UMUC as it was about eliciting responses from me. The entire process was relatively pain free.

Interview Questions

• To explain my teaching philosophy.   1 Answer

Negotiation

UMUC has a standardized pay schedule. However, with my years of experience and advanced degrees, I was able to negotiate appoint as an adjunct associate professor, rather than adunct assistant professor. This was not a very difficult negotiation, as the program director agreed with my assessment of my experience and education.

Anonymous Employee in Adelphi, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Maryland Global Campus (Adelphi, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

Submitting through the employment portal was frustrating and non-responsive. Had to physically print out application, visit a UMUC site and have local staff forward materials to the hiring manager before there was any forward movement. After that, the hiring process was easy, consisting of two interviews, a verbal offer, and a written offer within one week.

Interview Questions

• What are some ideas you have for improving the online learning experience?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at University of Maryland Global Campus (Baltimore, MD) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone call interview, with a submission of a resume and cover letter before hand. Focused on providing hands-on experience within my professional realm. More of a discussion about what UMUC is all about.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Maryland Global Campus.

Interview

Everything was done on the phone (this is a remote position). I was interviewed by the director and assistant director (both have been replaced since-- moved on to other jobs). The director had a list of questions about my experience at this job and my education, but then departed from the list to ask more specifically about my philosophy of education. That was interesting. The assistant director was quiet, but added some questions about my sense of the mission of education and specifically online education.
    In the first interview, there wasn't much explanation about the salary and actual work. The second interview (when it was pretty clear they were going to offer me the job), they were more open about that. Of course, both left a year later, and the new administrators had their own way of assigning work, so we had to learn as we went. I had no contact with HR until it came time to fill out the many employment forms.

Interview Questions

• They asked in the first interview what about the mission of the organization I thought fit my personal mission, and I had to quickly google to find what the mission statement was! (I should have prepared better.)   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Take it or leave it sort of job.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Maryland Global Campus.

Interview

3 interviews: 1hour interview on the phone. 2 three hour interviews in person with a group of peers and hiring manager. The questions were read from a list. The interviews felt more like interrogations rather than a conversation.

Interview Questions

• Although we are an educational institution, we don't have any formal training for our employees, how would you go about learning the requirements of the job?   Answer Question

Team Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Largo, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Maryland Global Campus (Largo, MD) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied to this job, and heard from them three weeks later. Interview and communication was conducted via e-mail only. A week later, I waited a half-hour for my interview to begin. While annoyed, the time gave me insight re: the work culture. Very unfriendly workers; some condescending staff; and a lot of employees are on edge (the reviews here are spot on). Needless to say, noticing the lateness and vibe, I wasn't too interested in working here.

However, I proceeded with the group interview, knowing my answers and personality wasn't a good fit. Naturally, I wasn't surprised that I never heard back from them...

Interview Questions

• What type of work environment do you like? How do you handle difficult situations or people? What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question