University of Maryland Global Campus Senior Graphic Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at University of Maryland Global Campus

1 Interview Review

Senior Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at University of Maryland Global Campus (Boston, MA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied in May and finally was invited to a Skype interview in September. Almost immediately I got the vibe that I was wasting my time as these two women couldn't have appeared less interested in talking to me. The one woman first asked me if I have any military experience. When I answered no, she got downright nasty, lecturing me about how that's a problem because they're on a military base, she rambled on and on about this which I thought was rather bizarre -- if having military experience was a requirement, then I shouldn't have been able to apply, much less be interviewed. And, really, what does it matter? I'm a grown adult and I think I can handle pretty much anything at this point in my life, so unless the applicant must learn to rise at 5am with the bugle then I saw no point to this issue.

The remainder of the interview didn't go much better. I use the word "interview" loosely, as a successful interview is supposed to be a discussion, not a "game show" -style question and answer, which is what this was. They each had their printed out list of generic questions which they read word for word, and each time after I answered they had zero follow up comments which might have drove it towards more of a discussion. Overall, I got the impression that they just didn't care. After an hour of this, they said I'd have to submit a design test where I had to design a poster within one hour. Normally, I avoid places that make you take these "stupid until proven smart" tests/assessments as they are insulting and indicative of a poorly trained hiring manager/team, but, after four months of waiting I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt despite all the red flags I was seeing. Today, I finally received a rejection email from them. I have a suspicion I was only interviewed to check off a box on the EEO compliance report.

Interview Questions