University of Maryland Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 3, 2018

2.5

Community Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Maryland (College Park, MD) in April 2014.

Interview

There was a quick short online application. The application asks you about personality, how you'd handle certain situations, and why you want the job. You schedule your interview after you complete the application. The interview lasted 20 minutes in-person and there were only 2 interviewers.

Community Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Maryland (College Park, MD) in August 2015.

Interview

It was a fairly simple process, fill out the online forms, and then they set up either an in person or online interview. During interview just to be sure to highlight customer service experience or anything that would qualify you for working every day with students and faculty at the university.

Interview Questions

• mainly about customer services scenarios, Attention to detail, the importance of diversity and professionalism while working and the overall ability to provide excellent customer service while also remaining friendly and stern with residents   Answer Question

Contract Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Maryland (Baltimore, MD) in May 2013.

Interview

Simple staff review of professional credentials by attorneys in general practice of law who were willing and available to provide low fee or pro bono services to individuals qualified to receive assistance. The overall experience was collegial and constructive.

Interview Questions

• Do you think any citizen should have access to legal counsel   Answer Question

Ph D Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Maryland.

Interview

Applied online first. If you are qualified you will be enrolled as a Ph.D student. The first year is rotation without an adviser. You have to talk to the professors and know whether they have funding and what they are doing. The professor also asks your research backgound to see whether you fit in his / her lab

Interview Questions

• What's your previous research background?   1 Answer

Police Interview

Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Maryland (College Park, MD).

Interview

The interview process consisted of talking to the training and recruitment police officer. It was a fairly standard interview consisting of relevant questions. Some situational questions were posed. There was a physical test, academic test (math and english skills), and drug test. The back ground investigation takes a few months to complete.

Interview Questions

• They asked me what I would do if I encountered a hostile citizen armed with a knife.   1 Answer

Associate Director Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Maryland.

Interview

Online Application, panel interview, one-on-one interview with Dean

Interview Questions

• Scenario question - A scenario was presented to me and I was asked what would I do next.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much to negotiate given a state gov't job

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Maryland.

Interview

Summer internship at the CATT Lab at UMD. Applied through Careers4Terps. One technical interview onsite. Various language options made available for the problem. Given an hour to complete the task.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Maryland (College Park, MD) in January 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with multiple interviewers. Started as a Skype interview but their connection kept dropping. Interviewers were very nice and had interesting things to say in response to my questions.

Interview Questions

• Some programming, mostly behavioral.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at University of Maryland (College Park, MD) in September 2015.

Interview

After I submitted my application, it was about a month and a half before receiving an email asking to schedule an interview. The interview was very simple and the interviewer told me immediately afterwards that I got the job. It was very un-formal and he was friendly and clarified a question if I answered incorrectly.

Interview Questions

• What personal projects (outside of school) have you done related to this job?   1 Answer
    • What does a static function do?   1 Answer

Special Events Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Maryland (College Park, MD).

Interview

I received an email from someone in HR giving me the salary range and asking if I was still interested. I was, so she arranged a 20 min phone interview with three people from the department.

Each person asked a question, but some of the questions were actually two questions.

I made it to the next round, which was in-person interviews. This was several hours of group interviews. All questions were behavioral.

The hiring manager called personally to tell me I wasn't selected, which I appreciated. I asked for feedback and was told the selected candidate had more of the experience they were looking for.

Regarding questions asked, I went through glassdoor and noted all the behavior questions mentioned. I wasn't asked anything (that I recall) that wasn't mentioned here.

I would describe the entire process as intense, and quite drawn out, but I know that's typically the process here so I wasn't surprised by it.