University of Melbourne Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Melbourne Interview Questions

Updated Feb 8, 2017

2.8

Student Services Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online and received an phone call for an interview invite about a week later. Was interviewed by a panel of three and each one asked at least two questions.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with any University software applications?   Answer Question
    • How have you implemented policy and procedure in the past?   Answer Question
    • Why are you a good fit for the role?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult situation and what did you do?   Answer Question

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in March 2016.

Interview

Application - Online test - Video interview - Assessment centre - Offer
    Quite hard since you will be given only 15 seconds to read the questions and prepare before the camera starts to record.
    Be prepared well before you hit the interview button!

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in September 2011.

Interview

Long procedure. Initial was a phone conversation to the Professor. I was asked to come and meet him to have a direct interview. The interview took half a day and I was asked to summarise my skills and write a report at the end of it.

Also was asked to understand the work of the lab and talk to other members. It was a tiring and long interview process.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself 10 years from now.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in January 2016.

Interview

They asked to pretend as if they were students and to help them work through a problem. They then moved onto asking general questions about why I wanted to be a tutor and what I liked about the subject I was applying for.

Interview Questions

• They asked about previous experience and why you wanted to be a tutor.   1 Answer

Lab Demonstrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in December 2014.

Interview

The interviewers were the two lecturers for the subject I applied to work with. Talked to them about my former lab experience and skills. And then they asked some questions based on my resume. The whole interview went pretty smoothly. I got the offer two days later.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Melbourne.

Interview

Interview was a fairly relaxed affair in an academics office. 3 members on panel, 2 academics and 1 professional staff member. Took about 40 minutes in total. Interviewers asked roughly 10 questions each going around the table. Was a very clear divide in technical and behavioural questions coming from separate people. If you are interviewing for a technical, professional position within the sciences/engineering ensure you are up to date with academics research fields and fully understand the techniques and instruments used in the position.

Interview Questions

• Some of the questions I can remember:
      Tell me about yourself.
      What will you bring to the department/job?
      Explain your experience with the instruments the job is concerned with.
      What techniques would you used to deal with 'difficult' researchers?
      How would you deal with training a wide variety of users from different backgrounds.
      Quite a few questions on the specifics of the job technicalities.
      Answer Question

Senior Professional Role Interview

Interview

I was an internal applicant, known to the department. The 'behavioural interviewing' technique was employed in the interview. So far, so good until it came to being notified of the outcome: I didn't hear a thing. After 10 days I sent an email to the member of staff in charge of organising the interview - no reply. Feeling mightily p*ssed off, I emailed the chair of the selection panel, politely requesting he indicate whether or not I had been successful. Again, no reply. I wasn't particularly upset that I (obviously) hadn't got the position, but was appalled at the thoroughly unprofessional behaviour of the recruiters. So disgusted was I, that at that point I decided I no longer wanted to work for the University and I have since moved on.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in January 2011.

Interview

-Submitted application through central HR portal
    -Shortlisted for panel interview. It was a long interview with about 4-5 present but it was not as intimidating as it could have been. They tried to be personable which I really appreciated. Each panel member took turns to ask questions.
    -Called back for interview with two directors. Much shorter interview. Directors did most of the talking with a few questions for me.

Interview Questions

• -Tell us why you are suited for the role
      -Talk about your weaknesses
      Answer Question

Negotiation

-Smooth sailing
    -The salaries were pegged to a grade structure so there was only a limited amount of room for negotiation
    -I countered with a slightly higher salary and they accepted after discussion with higher-ups

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in March 2009.

Interview

The hiring process is typically done internally. I was a PhD student at the time, so I didn't actually apply for the job, my supervisor suggested that I might be interested. As soon as I said that I was interested, I was hired with no interview. Other tutors typically as the subject coordinator directly, but tutors are generally not interviewed because they are already known to the subject coordinator.

Interview Questions

• Would you like to tutor this subject?   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in September 2012.

Interview

Initial email contact followed by 1 on 1 interview