University of Melbourne Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Melbourne Interview Questions

Updated Feb 8, 2017

2.8

Interview

Contact the boss via email attached with the resume. Then a telephone interview called from the boss directly. It last a bit long time since the sent of the application to the reply from the boss, about one month. After the interview, the boss quickly agreed to offer a position and prepare the contract.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Melbourne.

Interview

There will normally be at least three people on the panel, which can be a bit intimidating
    Normally a set list of questions linked to the Key Selection Criteria. They may also ask further questions about things listed on your CV. Technical skills also important

Interview Questions

• This role looks very different to your other interests/experiences - how do you see it fitting in?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much room for negotiation

Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Melbourne.

Interview

allow sufficient time;
    are conducted in a private and comfortable environment;
    pose probing questions without creating undue stress;
    have questions framed around the selection criteria;
    have the candidates’ responses recorded;
    will clarify each candidate’s interpersonal skills;
    will explore gaps or discrepancies;
    probe reasons for leaving previous positions;
    where each panel member checks their assumptions and biases;
    clarify that the applicant can carry out all aspects of the job.

Interview Questions

• canvas core topics agreed upon and asked of all candidates;
      maintain control of the interview;
      apply criteria in an objective and neutral way in their evaluation of the candidates;
      have the ability to formulate probing questions that lead to a full, complete and accurate picture of the candidate;
      are objective and neutral in their evaluation of the candidates and their employment situations;
      have the ability to draw out examples of the individual?s attitudes, temperament, beliefs and experiences;
      know about legal issues concerning discriminatory inference and/or intrusive questions that infringe on privacy;
      are highly skilled at listening and evaluating what is being said and how it is expressed;
      are professional but friendly, helping the applicant feel relaxed and comfortable enough to present in the best possible way.
      Answer Question

Senior Lecturer Interview

Interview

Once you get through the application phase and initial communications, you can expect to deliver a mock teaching session wherein you will be required to demonstrate your communication and presentation skills. The mock audience will be keen to ask clarifying questions and they shall then test your ability to deliver the concepts in an easy-to-understand manner. Overall, the process is simple and well-structured and as far as you have the required skills, it shouldn't be challenging to get through.

Interview Questions

• How would you expect a similar concept to students who possess an average understanding of the English language?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in January 2016.

Interview

It differs for different faculty, but generally very easy and relaxing. just a few words of chat and probably ask you to explain some basic concepts. Only takes 15 mins over all and interviewed by a scholar.

Change and Communication Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in January 2015.

Interview

The process was reasonably straight forward. I was interviewed by the change practice lead and program manager. They tended to keep their questions focused towards communication as opposed to change management. Most of the discussion was focused around stakeholder engagement and management, and my experience around moving resistant stakeholders. They tended to focus only on work and did not ask any character or personal-related questions. From that, I concluded that it was more of a transactional cultural.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had to deal with a stakeholder who didn't support a change you were enabling.   Answer Question

Administration Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in January 2013.

Interview

Applied for an advertised position.

Negotiation

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in November 2014.

Interview

I was referred by a lecturer from a class project. From there I was put in touch with the head of the project who then arranged a 10 minute sit down extremely informal interview.

Communication Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in September 2016.

Interview

Was referred internally for the position. The interview was relatively informal and was conducted in a cafeteria by three managers. Being a student, the hiring manager made me feel at ease.

Interview Questions

• Customer orientation, interpersonal and people skills.   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Melbourne (Melbourne (Australia)) in March 2010.

Interview

Internal referral within the University. Invited to interview with academic I knew and who knew my work. One on one interview concerning the possible position and the likely work entailed. The work was basically laboratory work/report & paper writing/supervision of research assistants and undergrad students. I was asked to give a proposal on the spot, as to how I would initially go about engineering/solving the solution to the specific challenges entailed for the position. I was also asked about my career plans. I was offered the job at the end of the interview - which I immediately accepted.

Interview Questions

• It was a technical question regarding the step by step process I would go through to synthesize particular chemical products? How I would design the chemical products ? why ? in what stages I would examine the different designs ? why ?   Answer Question