University of Michigan Graduate Student Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Michigan Graduate Student Research Assistant Interview Questions

2.3

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Graduate Student Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Michigan.

Interview

I applied, they gave me an offer. I visited. I didn't get interviewed to get in at all.
The visit weekend is very nice and seemingly lavish. They put you in a hotel from Thursday night all the way through Sunday morning. They pay for your flight for the visit. There's a lot of discovering the faculty during this time so that you can mull over or contact a faculty adviser before you enroll. Each department differs in their process of how grad students get assigned or chosen thesis advisers.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for University of Michigan

Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Dearborn, MI) in December 2014.

Interview

Easy. All the questions were from the resume. It was 1 on 1 meeting with the hiring professor. questions were asked related to the field of study mine being computer science. It lasted for 30 mins. Needed to work on trail basis and then got the offer.

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2014.

Interview

There was no interview process, as this GSRA position was offered directly from faculty advisor, as is typical in university Ph.D. programs. The faculty advisor asked/offered the two-semester GSRA position, a job that any Ph.D. student would be foolish to turn down, as it means you get a break from teaching (this is highly dependent on the program and university, of course). But generally, seems there is little interviewing that takes place for GSRA positions.

Negotiation

No negotiation possible, salary/benefits set by Graduate Employees Union (GEO) contract.

Graduate Student Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Michigan in August 2013.

Interview

Contact instructors that have openings for students.
    Schedule an interview
    Make sure you cover what are the areas of interest for the faculty
    Come up with novel ideas to impress them
    Show high motivation and promise

Interview Questions

• - It is mainly about your research achievements, the number of publications you had in your past research area.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was easy as long as you show motivation

Graduate Student Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Was selected based on application packet, there was no interview. I suppose portfolio and topicality of your work is what determines whether or not you will get matched up with faculty.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation was available.

Graduate Student Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Michigan in April 2012.

Interview

1. Application by online system
    2. Professor contacted by E-mail
    3. Schedule interview by Skype (for international students)
    4. One hour interview for both behavior interview and technical questions: The questions about behavior interview could be found online. The technical questions could vary based on the lab and PI's interests. It's good to look at the lab website and read more review paper in the specific field. It would help a lot.

Interview Questions

• The questions overall are easy to answer. However, sometimes the communication quality is so bad that makes the interview difficult because I needed to check the questions several times.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in February 2012.

Interview

The recruitment weekend is interesting and fruitful. We get to listen to talks, talk with professors and visit a wonderful museum. I get to know more about the University. Everyone is very friendly, including professors, staff member and other graduate students. In other universities, students usually stay in the hotel, but here you get to stay with graduate students, and hang out with them. It is a very memorable experience.

Graduate Student Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at University of Michigan in April 2011.

Interview

application online with essay and recommendations from academic/industrial experts

Phone interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in April 2011.

Interview

I submitted the application in December 2011; and then waited for 4 months until almost the deadline when got a Skype interview from your future adviser; then it's a done deal. It was pretty a easy and straightforward process.

Interview Questions

• Some basic electromagnetic questions and microwave circuit questions; then several questions from your resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in March 2011.

Interview

Was invited to campus to meet with professors and discuss their research. Also attended seminars to find out more about the department. The professors had very interesting research and we were able to meet with several of them over the course of the day I was at the interview.