University of Michigan Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 22, 2017

2.6

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was very short, most of the question are technical related to projects and lab techniques. Job description did not match the requirements she was asking for while interviewing, I did answered all of them. There is no reply after the interview for feedback even after several followup emails, which I felt was not professional.

Field Interviewer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Michigan.

Interview

The interview was pretty straightforward. I performed mock interview on both computer and paper. Afterwards there are some behavioral questions. They also gave me more details regarding the project I would be working on if I got hired. The interviewers were very professional.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you cannot finish a project on time?   Answer Question

Research Position Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Michigan.

Interview

Phone interview first. Onsite Interview goes as arranged. got a schedule before interview , all procedure described . Friendly and open discussion of background and interest. Lab tour after interview. Campus is beautiful.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in September 2016.

Interview

Initially, a telephone interview...I missed that email, so the hiring manager was fine with my advancing to the next level and covering the information there. That was cool of her. So the next interview was with three people. I did not expect that. A significant amount of time was spent in their telling me about advancement opportunities...none of this "we expect you to commit to this position for two years" stuff. Wonderful. They gave me realistic expectations of the job and were very comfortable to talk to, not at all high pressure. Next step was with faculty. They, too were low key and welcoming. I did not get the first position, but where I landed is actually a better fit where I can really use my talent and "get out of my lane" to enhance my role and make it far more interesting. No one is threatened by that, in fact, they love it! There is not stifling talent at UM. Go blue!

Interview Questions

• Will this job be enough for you? (I was returning to work after years away so coming in at a lower level than when I left my career,)   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Grader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in September 2016.

Interview

Conctacthe faculty member is the first step. Then interview with faculty member and talk about your background like what course you've already had and what's your grade for that. Claiming you're pursue a phd in relavent are is very helpful.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Michigan.

Interview

I responded to a job posting online via a student job opportunities blog. Emailed resume and cover letter. Received email back asking for work samples. Came in for in-person interview.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Michigan in August 2016.

Interview

There were two virtual 30 minute interviews following an online application form. The first interview was via Google Hangouts with the lab manager and another a few days later with the PI via telephone. They were both formal interviews of the job description and my previous experience. I was told of my offer within the next three business days.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Dearborn, MI) in August 2016.

Interview

You have to mail the professor showcasing your interest and talent. If the professor likes your profile he will set up an interview wherein you will be tested on technical grounds and on your previous knowledge and contributions in the respective field

Interview Questions

• You knowledge and contribution to their field and describe it breifly   1 Answer

Assistant Professor Interview

Interview

Simple and straightforward. Present your credentials and cv and there isn't a problem becoming a member of the faculty. I was very pleased with the interviewer. I am an alumni so that probably had a great deal to do with it as they tend to take care of their own. Go for it if you are an alumni.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Michigan.

Interview

Online submission, 30 minute phone screening interview, 60 minute in-person panel interview which included a tour of the building, one last 1:1 meeting with supervisor and then they asked for references.