University of Michigan Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 6, 2017

2.6

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

Found out about the position through an online posting and contacted the relevant person with my resume. We made contact and set up a formal interview. A few days after that, I was hired.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Michigan.

Interview

I applied, they gave me an offer. I visited. I didn't get interviewed to get in at all.
    The visit weekend is very nice and seemingly lavish. They put you in a hotel from Thursday night all the way through Sunday morning. They pay for your flight for the visit. There's a lot of discovering the faculty during this time so that you can mull over or contact a faculty adviser before you enroll. Each department differs in their process of how grad students get assigned or chosen thesis advisers.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Michigan.

Interview

The interview includes phone call. It really depends on whom you are interviewing for. And it varies from professor to professor. I have had excellent experience. The phone call included talking to the advisor on the phone and describing the projects that you are currently involved and have done previously.

Research Area Specialist Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

After a phone interview lasting 20 or 30 minutes, I was invited in for individual interviews with various team members over a few days based on their availability. Different members asked very different questions, but they were all really interesting to talk to, and I actually enjoyed the interview process a lot.

Interview Questions

• What did you like most about your last/current job, and what did you like least?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2015.

Interview

I received a call from the department for a 30 minute phone interview. I was invited for a face to face interview two days later. They were in a bind to get someone hired immediately. I was flexible and started work when they needed me. I hit the floor running once I arrived.

Interview Questions

• How do I handle office chit-chat and gossip.   1 Answer

Interview

It was a few years back but over all it is pretty simple-- should be no probem especially if you have been practicing mock interviews/ interviewing for actual internships/job outside of work study campus jobs. Questions will range from general to sceanrios you could encounter at the facility. Basically checking for common sense.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at University of Michigan.

Interview

The interview process was straight-forward. Interviewer was kind and tried to make it an comfortable environment, which I really appreciated. Also, I was asked some specific questions regarding the research position that I was applying for, not so much to test my knowledge, but to gauge my interest in the area of research. I also met the the current research assistant to see if we were a good match.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you may be most helpful in this position?   Answer Question
    • How do you think you will positively contribute to this project?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

It was a phone screening, i was asked about my skills and scripting language proficiency. It was a great conversation with the interviewer.

Research Area Specialist Intermediate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in September 2015.

Interview

The position I applied was at Kidney Epidemiology Cost Center affiliated to the biostatistics department at School of Public Health.

SAS Sample code review

Phone interview

On site interview, 4 rounds in total, 2 hours
    1. Met the analyst team (up to 7 analysts, led by 1 senior analyst), 30 minutes
    2. Met the Manager and co-director with a model interpretation test. They gave me a research question and asked me how would I approach the research question. They also gave me SAS output.
    3. Met with the Director, 30 minutes
    4. Finished a SAS written test, 8 questions, 30 minutes

Interview Questions

• Talk about your research question.
      Why you want to apply a position at KECC?
      Why you leave your current job?
      Do you have any questions for us?
      Explain your sample SAS code to us, etc
      Answer Question

Academic Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Dearborn, MI) in September 2015.

Interview

Pretty straight forward with transcripts of your previous courses taken Although they take along time to get back to you, you will have to bug them to get the position. Also make sure you apply at the beginning of the semester.They usually do not hire for summers.

Interview Questions

• Just asked what are the timings your are available to work.   Answer Question