University of Michigan Interview Questions in Michigan | Glassdoor

Updated May 22, 2017

2.6

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

Applied through the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program and got matched with potential Principal Investigators. Emailed to set up interviews and got lab tours and met with staff and graduate students.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

Started off with a phone screening with 2 people, next was an in-person interview with the same 2 people which was the Cheif administrator and executive interim secretary. After that about 3 days later they did a reference check. Same day scheduled a meet and greet with staff and director in the morning and then by the afternoon I got a call with a phone offer then an email with official offer

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with confidentiality?
      Tell me about a time where you had multiple projects? How were you able to meet deadlines?
      What type of support do you feel the Executive assistant should give the Chief Administrator?
      1 Answer

Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

The process was really smooth and the advisors were extremely helpful in the entire process. They were straightforward with the business formal attire and made sure to answer any questions I had prior to the interview process.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest strengths and weakness?   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Dearborn, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

Multiple multi-panel interviews as well as one on ones with leadership. The interviews took place over a few weeks. They seemed to have a bad experience with a previous employee so the questions were geared toward how I would handle a situation where there was a financial discrepancies, gossipy co-workers, and dealing with mundane tasks. They would ask a few questions regarding my skills but most of it would revolve around specific behaviors. It was odd to have to answer to questions about situations that I had never really found myself in because I have a good work ethic or there are already checks and balances in place to prevent them. They also insisted on speaking to a current supervisor as a reference even though I had let them know it would compromise my current job.

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was very short, most of the question are technical related to projects and lab techniques. Job description did not match the requirements she was asking for while interviewing, I did answered all of them. There is no reply after the interview for feedback even after several followup emails, which I felt was not professional.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in September 2016.

Interview

Initially, a telephone interview...I missed that email, so the hiring manager was fine with my advancing to the next level and covering the information there. That was cool of her. So the next interview was with three people. I did not expect that. A significant amount of time was spent in their telling me about advancement opportunities...none of this "we expect you to commit to this position for two years" stuff. Wonderful. They gave me realistic expectations of the job and were very comfortable to talk to, not at all high pressure. Next step was with faculty. They, too were low key and welcoming. I did not get the first position, but where I landed is actually a better fit where I can really use my talent and "get out of my lane" to enhance my role and make it far more interesting. No one is threatened by that, in fact, they love it! There is not stifling talent at UM. Go blue!

Interview Questions

• Will this job be enough for you? (I was returning to work after years away so coming in at a lower level than when I left my career,)   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Grader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in September 2016.

Interview

Conctacthe faculty member is the first step. Then interview with faculty member and talk about your background like what course you've already had and what's your grade for that. Claiming you're pursue a phd in relavent are is very helpful.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Dearborn, MI) in August 2016.

Interview

You have to mail the professor showcasing your interest and talent. If the professor likes your profile he will set up an interview wherein you will be tested on technical grounds and on your previous knowledge and contributions in the respective field

Interview Questions

• You knowledge and contribution to their field and describe it breifly   1 Answer

Hotel Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in June 2016.

Interview

Met with student manager and hotel manager. I was asked a series of questions regarding my part experience working at a front desk and working in customer service. The job was described in detail, and I was asked about my availability, as this job is part time for University of Michigan students. I was given a tour of the facility and introduced to the other staff members at the University of Michigan League.

Stewardship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI) in May 2016.

Interview

First, I'd like to state that I did *not* get this interview as result of a referral.

I applied remotely, so it ended up being a Skype interview. I met with HR first. Asked a lot of typical questions ("Why U of M?" "Are you prepared to move right away?" "Strengths/weaknesses", etc.). The person I interviewed with seemed very interested in what I had to say and provided a lot of feedback. The interview immediately went into a second with the supervisor for the position I'd applied for. He asked a lot of the same questions, explained a lot about the position, etc. Overall, it was a really good experience. Both interviewers were personable and seemed genuinely interested in me as a candidate. When I ended up getting passed over for an internal candidate, I was sent a very nice email encouraging me to apply to the department again in the future, which I most definitely will do.