University of Minnesota Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 15, 2018

2.4

Pathology Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview was very standard, a lot of the process was understanding the position and touring the facilities. My interview was awhile ago, but the person directing the interview found out about me after I missed out on a different position. I thanked the previous interviewer in a follow-up email. A few days later I received an email from my future supervisor, asking to interview in person. We met at the office I would be doing the majority of work at. He explained his position, the duties that had fallen on him after his predecessor left on short notice with very little training, and did a lot of explaining of my duties. He was interested in my career goals, academic schedule, and intellect.

Peer Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2011.

Interview

Submit application, interview with assistant director

Parking Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2013.

Interview

It took a couple weeks to hear from the hiring manager after I applied online. I was part of a group interview with 3-4 other students. Interview was very relaxed and easy. Stereotypical interview questions. The interview only involved around 5-7 questions since each person had to answer individually.

Parking Lot Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2016.

Interview

Was contacted by the staff and had a quick interview a few days later. Lasted about 10 minutes, asked 3 standard interview questions and then was told we'd be in contact.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions - Imagine a time when you were stressed at work, how did you handle it   1 Answer

Assistant Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2013.

Interview

I applied for the job online after seeing a paper posting in my research area. I talked with one of the interviewers prior to the actual interview in regards to what the job entailed and what their perspective of the job, the boss and the university was. I was notified that I was going to go through a personal interview about 6 weeks after applying for the job and received an offer about 4 weeks after that. The interview was a two person panel and they asked me questions about what I wanted out of this job and what I could provide for this research unit. There was nothing really difficult or unexpected about the questioning.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all pretty straightforward in regards to the job expectations on my end and the employer's end, as well as what I wanted out of this job.   Answer Question

Assistant Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Saint Paul, MN) in June 2013.

Interview

Over the phone interview and in person interview. Toured the facilities and the work environment as well as the plot spaces. This involved many miles across the state of Minnesota.

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2010.

Interview

My initial communication began by emailing a research professor who emailed me back three weeks later telling me the email mysteriously took three weeks for her to receive. Although I saw this was a red flag, I was desperate for a job.

Junior Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota in July 2011.

Interview

I sent email cover letters with attached CV to Professors looking for scientists in labs at the UMN.
    I received an email within a week that he was interested. He asked me if he could call me for a quick interview. He called a few days later and discussed passed experience in prior lab. I was from another country so we spoke also about what was required to get me working there. I told him I needed a detailed offer letter with job description, salary and length of employment for my work visa. The conversation lasted about 45 min. He told me he would be in touch. He emailed me an offer letter within a week. I accepted within a week and we got the process going.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They were firm on salary. I asked for 40k and he said couldn't go higher than 30k... It was disappointing but I took it.

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2011.

Interview

no interview, informal referral and subsequent job offer received. The university is built almost entirely on referrals. If you know someone, this is by far the easiest way to get a job there.

Interview Questions

• How long would you like to stay at the University   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Saint Paul, MN) in July 2014.

Interview

Very simple interview with the lab section head. The questions were very basic personality questions, and was followed by a tour of the lab. I was called within 3 days to inform me that I would be receiving an offer.