University of Minnesota Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 28, 2017

3.2

4-H Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Rochester, MN).

Interview

Initial interview with Youth Development Office on campus. Then with the county needed the position presented a 15 min PP on how to grow progam. Finally answered 12 questions from a panel of community and staff involved with local 4-H

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a child was going into the show ring not standing next to an adult handler as required?   1 Answer

Desktop Support Professional - OIT Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview

The hiring process was very slow. It took them over two months to respond to my application. You need to look perfect on paper for them to even consider you. I thought my interview went very well, but wasn't offered the position.

Academic Technology Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

The HR recruiter arranged a panel interview with about 8 people who worked in the technology department. The recruiter was personable and helpful, but the team manger was a condescending a-hole during the interview who cut me off mid-sentence repeatedly to challenge my credentials. It was so bad I withdrew my application after it was over. I had a much more welcoming interview with another department at the university.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a conflict you've had at work and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Accounting III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Saint Paul, MN) in July 2016.

Interview

A panel interview with four people. They all very nice and making the interview process goes very smooth. They explain about the role and expectation of this job. They also take me for a tour of the department. Everyone there seems very nice.

Interview Questions

• What you like and dislike about your current job?
      What is your long-term goal?
      Do you have experience in grant accounting experience; excel spreadsheet, other computer programs?
      Explain your biggest accomplishment?
      Explain a time when you handle stress?
      Answer Question

Computer Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2016.

Interview

2 interviews, initial interview was pleasant and the interviewers were friendly and easy to get along with.
    2nd interview introduced the hiring manager. He was not as friendly - made me very uncomfortable, did not laugh or smile, and presented as very condescending and unpleasant.
    First interview were very general questions about your personality and work experience. Second interview, they had a computer that they wanted you to set up and trouble shoot. The issue ended up being that one of the sticks of RAM were bad, however the computer gave no beep codes when starting up that would indicate this.
    The computer was also a new design which I had not seen before - was very difficult to take apart and then put back together with everyone watching you. Definitely the worst interview experience of my life, and I left feeling badly and pretty humiliated - the hiring manager's attitude towards me did not help at all. After that, I would not have wanted to work there even if the job was offered to me.
    I was sent a letter via snail mail stating that they were not offering me the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you experienced positive and negative customer service
      Situational questions ie. You have to deal with a crisis but are stopped by a coworker who needs help - what do you do?
      What experience do you have with Mac computers
      How would you stop a program from launching on start up?
      Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

After completing a questionnaire I was asked to come in for an interview. The first qualification should be your requested salary before they send you their questionnaire. This would be more practical and could potentially save the candidate and the interviewers time if salary didn't fit within the budget. I was interviewed by two managers and an office manager. The interview process was polite and their were no technical questions asked. They stressed diversity in the questionnaire as well as the interview.

Interview Questions

• Diversity is very important here at the U, how would you continue to foster diversity...   1 Answer

Graduate Student Interview

Interview

I was admitted as a graduate student. I did not undergo an interview per se. This review is not applicable to my situation. Staff matched me to research assistant and teaching assistant positions every semester and there was no interview. I have nothing I can put in this space. I can see how this form would give valuable insight into most employment situations, but not this one.

Postdoctoral Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Austin, MN) in February 2016.

Interview

3 PIs and 1 HR officer conducted the interview. Got asked about my technical skills, academic performance, possible start dates and relationships with lab members.
    Since I did my PhD in developmental biology lab and the job was in a cancer research lab, I got asked why do I want to make the switch. Further to this the PI asked if I had read his publications.

Interview Questions

• Do you get along with your lab member?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2016.

Interview

It took several weeks to hear regarding this position (as with many of the roles at the University of Minnesota). After hearing from the group, it took a couple of weeks to set up an interview for the position, but for this role there was only 1 interview - a group panel.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about how you approached a project and your results   1 Answer

Human Resource Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2015.

Interview

A pool of over 50 applicants. I was an internal candidate, considered valuable to my department. Almost 6 months after position was posted, got phone interview. Many, many weeks later, panel interview with 6 people with 3 missing so I'd have to interview with them separately. Next day job was re-posted (for better pool). Learned in passing that in less than 3 weeks, they hired someone.