University of Minnesota Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Minnesota Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2017

2.4

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview

They were very accommodating. The questions were thorough but fair. It was the longest interview I have had to do, but it helped me get a feel for the kind of work I would be doing in that position.

Accounting III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Saint Paul, MN) in July 2016.

Interview

A panel interview with four people. They all very nice and making the interview process goes very smooth. They explain about the role and expectation of this job. They also take me for a tour of the department. Everyone there seems very nice.

Interview Questions

• What you like and dislike about your current job?
      What is your long-term goal?
      Do you have experience in grant accounting experience; excel spreadsheet, other computer programs?
      Explain your biggest accomplishment?
      Explain a time when you handle stress?

Computer Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2016.

Interview

2 interviews, initial interview was pleasant and the interviewers were friendly and easy to get along with.
    2nd interview introduced the hiring manager. He was not as friendly - made me very uncomfortable, did not laugh or smile, and presented as very condescending and unpleasant.
    First interview were very general questions about your personality and work experience. Second interview, they had a computer that they wanted you to set up and trouble shoot. The issue ended up being that one of the sticks of RAM were bad, however the computer gave no beep codes when starting up that would indicate this.
    The computer was also a new design which I had not seen before - was very difficult to take apart and then put back together with everyone watching you. Definitely the worst interview experience of my life, and I left feeling badly and pretty humiliated - the hiring manager's attitude towards me did not help at all. After that, I would not have wanted to work there even if the job was offered to me.
    I was sent a letter via snail mail stating that they were not offering me the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you experienced positive and negative customer service
      Situational questions ie. You have to deal with a crisis but are stopped by a coworker who needs help - what do you do?
      What experience do you have with Mac computers
      How would you stop a program from launching on start up?

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was quick and professional. I met the senior researcher, PI and human resources person for the onsite interview. The interview last about an hour. However, this depend on your lab, PI and department.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my background, research interest. It is mainly to see if you are a good fit for the position   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2016.

Interview

Very long at least 3 months with 3 phases ( 1 survey, 2 face to face) and another face to face with the VP of IT. applied for the job then got a competency survey and after was called for 1 round of interview and 2nd round and then after meeting with the IT VP

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you have to convey technical information to a non-technical audience   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

After completing a questionnaire I was asked to come in for an interview. The first qualification should be your requested salary before they send you their questionnaire. This would be more practical and could potentially save the candidate and the interviewers time if salary didn't fit within the budget. I was interviewed by two managers and an office manager. The interview process was polite and their were no technical questions asked. They stressed diversity in the questionnaire as well as the interview.

Interview Questions

• Diversity is very important here at the U, how would you continue to foster diversity...   1 Answer

Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2016.

Interview

It was a conversational interview and I felt really comfortable talking to a panel of 3 interviewers. It was an employee referral which made it easy for me to communicate with the hiring manager. After coming here, I realized the importance of having a network. I was in touch with the teaching faculty at the school and one of the faculty members connected me with the hiring manager. The job description might look naive but the work that you get to put behind is on par with a marketing manager.

Interview Questions

• Q: Walk us through your resume
      Q: How would you solve ambiguity at work

Student Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2016.

Interview

Interviewed by Alumni Relations Director and Marketing Director, they are super fun, nice and casual about it. They know you are a student so they aren't too harsh on you but you should be prepared to answer questions relating to why the rec is important to you and what kind of message you want to get out on campus.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Minnesota.

Interview

In the interview, you need to give (1) a presentation of the previous work and then have (2) discussions about the research projects you need to participate. They will introduce the background knowledge of the projects, and ask some technical questions related to the projects.

Interview Questions

• the questions focused on the research projects I have conducted.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2016.

Interview

The person who called me for the interview did not state the job title. This was confusing for me because I had applied for several positions. When I called back to ask, she gave a job title for a position I had never applied to. It was difficult for me to prepare for the interview without seeing a job description.

Interview Questions

• How would your current experience help you succeed in this role?   Answer Question