University of Minnesota Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 20, 2017

2.4

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

One hour departmental seminar, describing my current research and outlining my interest in the department (45 minutes talk plus 15 minutes for questions). The seminar was followed by the full day conversations with senior lab members and principal investigator, typically between 30-45 minutes per person. Contacted the PI a fortnight after the interview, and got the offer soon afterwards.

Senior Office and Administrative Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

The first step is a brief phone interview to confirm availability and interest in the position after a brief discussion of job duties and pay range. Next, a 1:1 interview with the hiring authority is completed where more information about the position is provided along with information about the culture and day-to-day business. Finalists are invited back for group interviews with 3-5 people from the unit. My group interview included key stakeholders who would interact frequently with the position. I found that only one of the four people in my interview was adequately prepared. The most senior member in the interview hadn't looked at my application materials and asked me irrelevant questions like why I had left my previous positions in less than one year. It was documented that all of my positions save one had been held for 2-3 years and only terminated because of relocation. The most recent position had been a temporary contract position that I held for the six months leading up to my application to the University.

Interview Questions

• Describe your process for dealing with a difficult client or dissatisfied customer.   1 Answer

Graduate Student Interview

Interview

I was admitted as a graduate student. I did not undergo an interview per se. This review is not applicable to my situation. Staff matched me to research assistant and teaching assistant positions every semester and there was no interview. I have nothing I can put in this space. I can see how this form would give valuable insight into most employment situations, but not this one.

Postdoctoral Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Austin, MN) in February 2016.

Interview

3 PIs and 1 HR officer conducted the interview. Got asked about my technical skills, academic performance, possible start dates and relationships with lab members.
    Since I did my PhD in developmental biology lab and the job was in a cancer research lab, I got asked why do I want to make the switch. Further to this the PI asked if I had read his publications.

Interview Questions

• Do you get along with your lab member?   1 Answer

Research Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2016.

Interview

I got a call to schedule an interview from the lab PI about two months after I applied for the job, and interviewed the next week. Then I was asked to supply my references and once those got to the PI he offered me the job the next day.

Interview Questions

• What did you do when you were in a situation where you hated the person you had to do work with?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable with mouse work? (meaning if I think it is morally okay)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had another job offer on the table which offered more so I told them about that and they were able to offer me a higher salary.

Payroll Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Sit down in the office and answer formal questions. It was a very relaxed feel and I felt comfortable in their office. They closed doors, so that it wasn't in a cube setting. The questions were written down on a sheet of paper and she didn't write down any answers. There was no desk between us.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2016.

Interview

It took several weeks to hear regarding this position (as with many of the roles at the University of Minnesota). After hearing from the group, it took a couple of weeks to set up an interview for the position, but for this role there was only 1 interview - a group panel.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about how you approached a project and your results   1 Answer

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2016.

Interview

First talk with math department about openings, then chose a curse you have taken and talk with the professor. You will be asked for several questions. Have you learn this course before? What's your GPA standing? How do you manage your study life? What would you do if some students do not understand your explanation? How do you spirit students learning interests? Have you done this before?

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2016.

Interview

Pretty easy process, there was a panel that interviewed me and then on to the Faculty advisor. They let me know pretty quickly if I got the job, and I got a sense in the room that it was going well.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2016.

Interview

Get the interview information from HR. Talk to the PI and asked what I did during my PhD, the questions are easy. Then processed my application. After 1 week, get the offer.