University of Minnesota Interview Questions in Minneapolis, MN | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 10, 2017

2.4

OpenVMS Systems Admn Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

The interview I had was an ambush. A room full of interviewers and me. I would have handled the interview better from my perspective by informing my host that it would not be my way of inviting a guest into my "home".

Interview Questions

• It was the questions that did NOT pertain to the job discription that were "out of taste".   1 Answer

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview was conducted by a person with terrible accent. Could not understand the questions he asked. I had to ask him to repeat the questions 4 times, then I just started guessing. Requested another phone interview. The group panel was OK. The questions asked could be found online.

Assistant Professor of History Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2016.

Interview

I had a campus interview that was preceded by an interview via Skype. In both I had to account for my current and future research interests, broader trends in the field in which I was situated, as well as classes I would teach at the undergraduate and graduate level.

Interview Questions

• What kind of classes could you envision teaching in the History department?   Answer Question

Academic Technology Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

The HR recruiter arranged a panel interview with about 8 people who worked in the technology department. The recruiter was personable and helpful, but the team manger was a condescending a-hole during the interview who cut me off mid-sentence repeatedly to challenge my credentials. It was so bad I withdrew my application after it was over. I had a much more welcoming interview with another department at the university.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a conflict you've had at work and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Student Athlete Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied, got an interview within a few days, if you can show you are responsible, respectful and knowledgeable of college level academic topics you should get a call back. Although when I applied they had specifically sent out emails saying they needed tutors.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to explain a fake homework question as if the interviewer was a student.   1 Answer

Computer Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2016.

Interview

2 interviews, initial interview was pleasant and the interviewers were friendly and easy to get along with.
    2nd interview introduced the hiring manager. He was not as friendly - made me very uncomfortable, did not laugh or smile, and presented as very condescending and unpleasant.
    First interview were very general questions about your personality and work experience. Second interview, they had a computer that they wanted you to set up and trouble shoot. The issue ended up being that one of the sticks of RAM were bad, however the computer gave no beep codes when starting up that would indicate this.
    The computer was also a new design which I had not seen before - was very difficult to take apart and then put back together with everyone watching you. Definitely the worst interview experience of my life, and I left feeling badly and pretty humiliated - the hiring manager's attitude towards me did not help at all. After that, I would not have wanted to work there even if the job was offered to me.
    I was sent a letter via snail mail stating that they were not offering me the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you experienced positive and negative customer service
      Situational questions ie. You have to deal with a crisis but are stopped by a coworker who needs help - what do you do?
      What experience do you have with Mac computers
      How would you stop a program from launching on start up?
      Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was quick and professional. I met the senior researcher, PI and human resources person for the onsite interview. The interview last about an hour. However, this depend on your lab, PI and department.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my background, research interest. It is mainly to see if you are a good fit for the position   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2016.

Interview

Very long at least 3 months with 3 phases ( 1 survey, 2 face to face) and another face to face with the VP of IT. applied for the job then got a competency survey and after was called for 1 round of interview and 2nd round and then after meeting with the IT VP

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you have to convey technical information to a non-technical audience   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

After completing a questionnaire I was asked to come in for an interview. The first qualification should be your requested salary before they send you their questionnaire. This would be more practical and could potentially save the candidate and the interviewers time if salary didn't fit within the budget. I was interviewed by two managers and an office manager. The interview process was polite and their were no technical questions asked. They stressed diversity in the questionnaire as well as the interview.

Interview Questions

• Diversity is very important here at the U, how would you continue to foster diversity...   1 Answer

Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2016.

Interview

It was a conversational interview and I felt really comfortable talking to a panel of 3 interviewers. It was an employee referral which made it easy for me to communicate with the hiring manager. After coming here, I realized the importance of having a network. I was in touch with the teaching faculty at the school and one of the faculty members connected me with the hiring manager. The job description might look naive but the work that you get to put behind is on par with a marketing manager.

Interview Questions

• Q: Walk us through your resume
      Q: How would you solve ambiguity at work
      Answer Question